Moreton Jeffries, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

MORETON JEFFREYS is a small parish situated about half a mile W. of the main road between Hereford and Bromyard, and distant 8½ miles N.E. of Hereford, 5½ S.W. of Bromyard, and 12 N.W. of Ledbury; is in Radlow hundred, Bromyard union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Burley Gate (Ocle-Pychard) polling district. The population in 1861 was 41; in 1871, 47; inhabited houses, 9; families or separate occupiers, 10; area of parish, 703a. 2r. 8p.; annual rateable value, £940. Henry Higgins, Esq., of Thing-hill, hear Hereford, is the owner of the parish. The soil is clayey; subsoil, limestone; chief produce, wheat, hops, beans, fruit, &c. The parish comprises three farms, of which Moreton Jeffreys court, situate near the church, is the principal. The scenery in this neighbourhood is very picturesque. Moreton Jeffreys is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; living, a vicarage; value, about £60 (derived from rent-charge £24, Queen Anne's bounty £12 17s. 10d., and the rent of 16½ acres of glebe); patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. John David Paulett, who was instituted in 1873, and resides at the Vineyard, in Weston Beggard parish. The register begins with the year 1711. The church is a small stone edifice with nave, chancel, open porch on the south side, and small tower containing two bells. There are three monuments to the Westwood family, who were formerly owners of the parish. The east window was filled with stained glass by the late John Morley, Esq., as a memorial to the late vicar (the Rev. Thomas Hugh Bird). A monumental brass to the memory of John Morley, Esq., was presented in 1872 by Henry Higgins, Esq., who likewise gave handsome books for reading desk, &c. There is also a monumental slab to the Derry family. The children from this parish attend the national school at Burley Gate (Ocle-Pychard), which is mainly supported by Henry Higgins, Esq. The only constabulary station between Hereford and Bromyard is on the high road in this parish.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Worcester, and are delivered by messenger from Bromyard about 10.30 a.m.; despatched at 4 p.m. Bromyard is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
Parish Church.- Rev. John David Paulett, Vicar; Mr. James Sirrell, Churchwarden; Edwin Bowcott, Parish Clerk.
Carrier to Hereford.- Thomas Boulcott on Wednesdays and Saturdays; stops at the Coach and Horses Inn, Commercial street.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(None listed)
COMMERCIAL.
Boulcott Thomas, carrier, Claypits
Pearson John, farmer and hop grower, Moreton Jeffreys court
Robinson James, farmer and hop grower, The Farm
Sirrell James, farmer and hop grower, Tack farm

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/MoretonJeffries.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library