Michaelchurch Eskley, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

MICHAELCHURCH is a parish and village situated on Eskley brook, and distant about 15 miles W.S.W. of Hereford, and 7 N.W. of Pontrilas station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford railway; is in Ewyas Lacy hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Hereford county court district, and is a polling place for county elections. The population in 1861 was 448; in 1871, 457; inhabited houses, 85; families or separate occupiers, 88; area of parish, 4,567 acres; annual rateable value, £2,894. The Marquess of Abergavenny is lord of the manor of Ewyas Lacy, which includes Michaelchurch. The principal landowners are the Marquess of Abergavenny, Miss Rawson, and Charles Guy Trafford, Esq. The soil is a sandy loam on the old red sandstone formation; chief produce, wheat, barley, beans, roots, &c. The proposed Golden Valley railway will (when made) be a great boon to this district; the nearest station will be at Vowchurch. Michaelchurch Eskley is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a vicarage annexed to that of St. Margaret's; joint value, £230, partly derived from glebe; patroness, Miss Rawson; the charge is at present vacant.

The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was restored in 1872-73 at a cost of about £600. The work has been carried out with special attention to the style in which the church is built (Early English), the architect being G.F. Bodley, Esq., of London. The fabric consists of nave, chancel, porch, font, and tower containing five bells. The earliest register is dated 1700. This parish is included in the Longtown district school board. The present average attendance of boys and girls is about 50. New schools, with accommodation for 120 children, are about to be erected from the designs of Messrs. Haddon Brothers, architects, of Hereford and Malvern. Michaelchurch Court, the seat of Charles Guy Trafford, Esq., J.P., D.L., is beautifully situated on a gentle eminence, and, like Urishay castle in the adjoining parish (Peterchurch), commands extensive views of the surrounding country. The mansion was considerably enlarged about ten years ago. The interior is fitted up with great taste and elegance; in various parts of the house are some fine specimens of old English oak wainscoting.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford and arrive via Peterchurch at 11 a.m. The letter-box is cleared at 3.30 p.m. Peterchurch is the nearest money order office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Michael's). -___ ___, Vicar; Messrs. Hugh Dallas and Thomas Powles, Churchwardens; Thomas Watkins, Parish Clerk.
Board School (boys and girls).- Alexander Gordon, Master.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Trafford Charles Guy, Esq., J.P., D.L. Michaelchurch court.
COMMERCIAL.
Allen John, cot. frmr., yew-tree cottage
Ball Richard, tailor, The Gate
Cobb Edmund, cottage farmer, Browns
Cole Wm., cottage frmr., Brighton Camp
Dallas Hugh, farmer, Bridge farm
Gordon Alexander, master of Board schl.
Gwilliam John, farmer, Ty-Craddock
Gwillim Thomas, farmer, Vicarage
Gwillim William, farmer, Maerdy
Howard Howard, farmer; Old house
Howard William, farmer, Pikes
Howells Charles, farmer, Old Hay
Howells Wm., farmer and mason, Tan ho.
Hughes Thomas, blacksmith, Village
Hughes Wm., frmr., Spring castle & Caster
Jones Biblica, farmer, Upper Pen-y-park
Jones James, cottage farmer, Pentwyn
Jones Noah, farmer, Cefnkest
Jones Thomas, farmer, Upper house
Lewis George, farmer, Lower house
Lewis William, farmer, Pucha
Maddy Benjn., frmr., Gt. Cefn & Old Kates
Mapp William, farmer, White house
Meredith Aaron, farmer, The Birches
Meredith Alfred, farmer, The Glebe
Morris James, farmer, Coed-Robin
Morris James, farmer, Quakers' farm
Morris Thomas, farmer, Little Cefn
Morton Wm., frmr., Wilderness & Grove
Munkley James, farmer, Ty-mawr
Munkley John, farmer, New house
Nelder Henry, carpenter
Palmer George, mason
Parry Edmund, cottage farmer, Glip
Parry Mrs. Mary, cot. frmr., Lane head
Parry Richard, cot. frmr., Wernguinea
Phillips Charles, cot. frmr., Little hill
Phillips Isaac, farmer, New house and Rhydy-bath farms
Phillips Joseph, farmer, Kyron farm
Phillips Mrs. Sophia, farmer, Ty-ucha
Powell Philip, farmer, Rhydynog
Powles Thomas, farmer, The Wern
Price John, farmer and landowner, Llanrosser farm
Price William, farmer, Gregland
Pritchard David, cider retailer
Pritchard James, farmer, Llanbadon
Pugh Isaac, Bridge Inn, and mason
Realey Thomas, miller and shopkeeper, Michaelchurch mill
Roberts John, farmer, Rocky-fold
Sherratt Wm., frmr., Bank fm. & The Firs
Stephens Thos., frmr., Little Llan-rosser
Watkins George, farmer, Old house
Watkins George, carpenter, Village
Watkins Thomas, parish clerk
Welson Robert, farmer, Blaenau and Ten-y-gwynt farms
Wlliams Elijah, thrash. machine proprtr.
Williams Thomas, farmer, Gigfirm

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/MichaelchurchEskley.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library