Mansell Lacy, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

MANSELL LACY,
WITH WESTMOOR AND BUNSHILL.

MANSELL LACY is a parish and small village situated on the main road from Hereford to Kington, in a valley between the wooded heights belonging to the Foxley omain, and near the Hereford, Hay, and Breton branch of the Midland railway. It is distant 7 miles N.W. of Hereford, 5 S.S.E. of Weobley, 14 E. of Hay, and 13 S.E. of Kington; is in Grimsworth hundred, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Yazor polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 331; in 1871, 263; inhabited houses, 67; families or separate occupiers, 68; area of parish, 1,524a. 0r. 25p.; annual rateable value, £2,349 16s. The Rev. George Horatio Davenport, of Foxley, is lord of the manor and owner of most of the parish. The soil is loamy, clayey, and gravelly, producing wheat, barley, peas, and roots. Mansell Lacy is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a vicarage; value, £190, with 32 acres of glebe; patron, Rev. G.H. Davenport; M.A.; vicar, Rev. Rowland Hill, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1853, and is also vicar of Wormsley. The church (St. Michael's) is an old stone edifice possessing several interesting features. It consists of nave, chancel, side aisle, and square tower containing four bells and a clock. It was restored in 1860 at a cost of £549. The chancel window is of stained glass. The earliest register is dated 1714. In the churchyard is the pediment of a sundial upon which a cross was erected in 1866. The school-house, a commodious building in the Elizabethan style, with a residence attached, was built as a district school, but has not been used for several years. The children attend the national schools at Brinsop and Yazor. There is a chapel for Primitive Methodists, erected about ten years ago. Mansell Lacy House, the residence of the Rev. Rowland Hill, M.A., is situate close to the church, at the foot of the Foxley lawns. Westmoor is a hamlet distant 1 mile W. from the church. Bunshill is a detached portion of Mansell Lacy, lying between Kenchester and the river Wye, and intersected by the main road from Hereford to Hay.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford, and arrive by messenger about 10 a.m. The letter-box (opposite the church) is cleared at 4 p.m. Weobley and Hereford are the nearest money order and telegraph offices. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Michael's).- Rev. Rowland Hill, M.A., Vicar; Mr. William Jones, Churchwarden; William Powell, Parish Clerk.
School.- (Closed.)
Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Ministers various.
Carriers to Hereford.- Catherine Taylor (from the Parks) and William Watkins (from Weobley) pass through on Wednesdays and Saturdays about 10 a.m. returning at 5 p.m.

MANSELL LACY,
WITH WESTMOOR AND BUNSHILL DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Hill Rev. Rowland, M.A. (vicar of Mansell Lacy and of Wormsley), Mansell Lacy house
Morgan Mr. John, Rose cottage
COMMERCIAL.
Davies Edward, Westmoor
Elliott John, farmer, Bunshill
Enston Mrs. Ann, dressmaker
Gough Samuel, boot and shoe maker
Green Charles, brick and drain-pipe manufacturer, Westmoor
Haines Mrs. Elizabeth, miller and farmer, Mansell mill
Hodges William, farmer and provision dealer, Oak house
Jones William, farmer, Ivy house and Macklins farm
Lewis George, boot and shoe maker
Like John, farmer, Mansell Court farm
Lucas John, blacksmith, The Village
Pember Barnabas, farmer, Parsonage fm.
Pember James, mason (and parish clerk of Yazor), Westmoor
Powell William, parish clerk
Pritchard William, farmer, Westmoor

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/MansellLacy.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library