Mansell Gamage, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

MANSELL GAMAGE is a parish situated between the main road from Hereford to Hay, and the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of the Midland railway; is distant 8½ miles W.N.W. of Hereford, 4½ S. of Weobley, and 12 E. of Hay; is in Grimsworth hundred, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Yazor polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 131; in 1871, 164; inhabited houses, 29; families or separate occupiers, 29; area of parish, 1,311a. Or. 19p.; annual rateable value; £2,091. Sir Henry Geers Cotterell, Bart., of Garnons, who is lord of the manor, and the Rev. George Horatio Davenport, M.A., of Foxley, are the landed proprietors. The soil is stiff loam; subsoil, gravel, with some limestone and freestone quarries; chief crops, wheat, barley, beans, peas, &c. Mansell Gamage is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a vicarage annexed to Byford rectory; value, £114 9s., with one acre of glebe; patron, Sir Henry G. Cotterell, Bart.; vicar, Rev. Berkeley Lionel Scudamore-Stanhope, M.A., of All Souls College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1866, and resides at Byford rectory. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is a stone edifice, chiefly in the Decorated style of architecture, with nave, chancel, and square tower containing three bells. It was repaired in 1865 at the cost of the patron. The register begins with the year 1704. The children from this parish attend the national school at Byford. Garnons, the seat of Sir Henry Geers Cotterell, Bart., J.P., D.L., is a very beautiful castellated mansion finely situated on the south-western acclivity of Bishopstone hill. The grounds are ornamented with some extensive and flourishing plantations, and command various delightful and rich prospects, in which the river Wye forms a striking feature. The mansion is a very conspicuous object from the Hereford road. Sir H.G. Cotterell was M.P. for Herefordshire from 1857-59, and has served the office of high sheriff of the county.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford. The letter-box is cleared at 5 p.m. Weobley is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Giles').- Rev. Berkeley Lionel Scudamore-Stanhope, M.A., Vicar; Mr. Robert Leaper, Churchwarden; John Wootton, Parish Clerk.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Cotterell Sir Henry Geers, Bart., J.P., D.L., Garnons; and 22 Belgrave square, London, S.W.
COMMERCIAL.
George Samuel, head gamekeeper for Sir Henry Geers Cotterell, Bart., J.P., D.L.; res., in Byford parish
Jones Thomas, haulier
Leaper Robert, farmer, Minor farm
Price Geo., miller and farmer, Scutt mill
Price Hugh, farmer, Upper, Middle, and Lower Shetton farms
Wootton Mrs. Ann, shopkeeper

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/MansellGamage.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library