Madley, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

MADLEY is an extensive parish and village, situated on the main road from Hereford to Hay via Blakemere, distant 7 miles W. of Hereford, 17 N.W. of Ross, and 21 N. of Monmouth; is in Webtree hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Hereford county court district, and is a polling place for county elections. The population in 1861 was 970; in 1871, 911; inhabited houses, 205; families or separate occupiers, 230; area of parish, 5,360 acres; annual rateable value, £8,350. The parish is in several manors. The principal landowners are R.H. Lee-Warner, Esq., the Governors of Guy's Hospital, London, Mrs. Maddy, Rev. John Crugar Murray Aynsley, and John Morris, Esq. The soil is rich loam and gravel; subsoil, red sandstone and limestone; chief produce, wheat, barley, hops, roots, and fruit. A market was formerly held here, but it has long been discontinued. In the village is a stone cross, consisting of a pedestal and shaft, and in the churchyard are the remains of another cross. In this parish was formerly a castle, but nothing whatever remains to point out its site. The foundation of a Catholic chapel was removed a few years since at Chilstone, the residence of William B. Street, Esq. Near to here are visible traces of a circular mound, supposed to be the remains of a tumulus, at which there is a very ancient yew tree.

Madley is in the diocese, archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford; living, a vicarage with the chapelry of Tyberton annexed; joint value, £566, with residence and 1½ acres of glebe; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Charles Edward Underwood, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1870. The Rev. Arthur Esmond Riddle; B.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, is the curate. The church, dedicated to the nativity of St. Mary, is a very ancient stone edifice in the Early English style of architecture. It consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north porch, and square embattled tower containing six bells. This beautiful and interesting fabric has just undergone extensive restoration. The fine vaulted oak roof over the nave, arches, and porch has been restored; much decayed stonework has been replaced, and the tower put in thorough repair. The edifice, capable of seating 1,500 persons, far exceeds the requirements of the parish, and was in former years partitioned so as to contain chapels for the chantry priests attached to it. There are three beautiful stained glass windows in the chancel, a crypt under the chancel, stone font, ten monuments and several tablets. The earliest register is dated 1559. The charities belonging to the parish are of £56 yearly value. There is a national school for boys and girls, erected in 1853. It has a certificated master, and is under government inspection; average attendance, about 80. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- John Taylor, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by mail-cart from Hereford at 8 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6 p.m. Money orders are granted and paid, and savings bank business transacted. The letter-box at Cublington villa is cleared at 5.30 p.m. Hereford is the nearest telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. Charles Edward Underwood, M.A., Vicar; Rev. Arthur Esmond Riddle, B.A., Curate; Messrs. William B. Street and Thomas Powell, Churchwardens; William Trumper, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. Arthur Mewis, Master; Mrs. Elizabeth Mary Mewis, Sewing Mistress.
Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Ministers various.
Registrar of Births and Deaths for Madley district of Dore Union.- Mr. John Taylor, Post office.
Inland Revenue Officer.- Mr. William Price.
Carriers to Hereford.- George Pugh (of The Green, Preston-on-Wye) passes through every Wednesday and Saturday; stops at the Nelson Inn, West street, Hereford; returns the same days. Edward Alcock on Wednesdays and Saturdays; stops at the Butchers' Arms, Berrington street; returns at 4 p.m. the same days.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Aynsley Rev. John Crugar Murray, M.A., J.P., Great Brampton
Broad Mr. John, Chilstone court
Bullock Mr. Charles, Canon bridge
Davis William, Esq., Webton court
Dawe Mr. James S., Field's place
Evans Mr., Swinmore villa
Gilbert Mr. William, Jetnall
Powell Mr. Thomas, Shenmore
Riddle Rev. Arthur Esmond, B.A. (curate)
Street William B., Esq., Upper Chilstone
Underwood Rev. Chas. Edward, M.A. (vicar of Madley with Tyberton), The Vicarage
Waddell James, Esq., Canon Bridge house
Ward James, Esq., Great Brampton
Willis Mrs., White hall
COMMERCIAL.
Abercrombie Thomas, frmr., Castle farm
Beavan John, farmer, Church house
Bridgewater Wm., farmer, Broad green
Broad John, farmer, Chilstone court
Bullock Charles, farmer, Canon bridge
Davies James, blacksmith and implement maker
Davies Josiah, farmer, Cublington
Davies William, shopkeeper, Folly
Davis William Jas., farmer, Webton court
Dews James S., farmer, Field's place
Evans Edward, farmer, Parkway
Griffiths Mrs., shopkeeper, Jetnall
Griffiths Thomas, farmer, Shenmore
Griffiths Thomas, brick manufacturer &c., Shenmore; res., Blakemere
Hall John, carpenter
Harper John, shopkeeper, &c., Shenmor
Hill Thomas, farm bailiff for John Morris Esq,, Town house and Lulham farms
Hodges A.E., saddler and harness mkr.
Hughes James, butcher
Jones Charles, horse dealer, Stoney street
Jones Daniel, miller, Field's mills
Jones James, shoemaker
Jones Thomas, farmer, Lower Lulham
Jones Thomas, farmer, Shenmore
Jones Thos., plumber, glazier, & painter
Llewellyn James, farmer, Bage
Llewellyn Mrs., farmer
Meats Thomas, farmer, Swinmore and Lower Wormhill farms
Meek Miss Mary, shopkeeper
Merrick Thomas, wood turner and cabinet maker, Woodyatt's cross
Mewls Arthur, master of National school
Morgan George, farmer, Cublington
Morgan James, shoemaker
Morris John, farmer and landowner, Town house and Lulham farms; res., Rokeby house, Hampton park, Hereford
Pautall Wm., farmer, Lower Cublington
Powell Evan, farmer, Shenmore
Powell Thomas, farmer, Shenmore, Bage farm, and Batcho farm
Preece Edward, wheelwright
Preece Jas., crpntr. & wheelwrt., Jetnall
Preece Mrs., shopkeeper
Preece Thomas, carpenter, wheelwright, and assistant overseer, Shenmore
Price N.G., farmer, Showell cottage and Toddige farm
Price William, inland revenue officer
Pritchard Wm., Red Lion Inn, and farmer
Roberts William, carpenter, Shenmore
Seabourn James, blacksmith, Brampton
Smith Mrs. Cath., farmer, Church farm
Snead Richard, farmer, hop grower, and implement agent, Carwardine green and Showell farms
Street Wm. B., farmer, Upper Chilstone
Taylor John, tailor, sub-postmaster, and registrar of births and deaths for Madley district of Dore union, Post office
Thomas John, shoemkr., Cublington villa
Thomas William, tailor, Castlebury
Tristram Jn., mason & frmr., Yew-tree cot.
Trumper William, parish clerk
Waddell Jas., farmer, Canon Bridge ho.
Ward James, farmer, Great Brampton
Wheeler Charles, miller and farmer, Bage mill and Lower House farm
Whitman James, boot and shoe maker
Williams John, farmer, Little Brampton
Williams John, blacksmith

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Madley.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library