Lugwardine, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

LUGWARDINE,
WITH THE HAMLET OF HAGLEY.

LUGWARDINE is a large parish and picturesque village, situated on the main road between Hereford and Ledbury, and about 1 mile S.W. of Withington station on the Worcester and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway. It is distant 3 miles E. by N.E. of Hereford, 10½ W.N.W. of Ledbury, 13 S.S.E. of Leominster, 12 S.W. of Bromyard, and 14 N. of Ross; is in Radlow hundred, Hereford union, county court district, polling district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 748; in 1871, 790; inhabited houses, 159; families or separate occupiers, 185; area of parish, 2,030a. In 33p.; annual rateable value, £6,295. Edward Griffiths, Esq., of Newcourt (who is lord of the manor), Edward Smalley Hutchinson, Esq., of Longworth, Miss James, of Wilcroft, Sir Herbert George Denman Croft, Bart., of Lugwardine court, Mr. William Godwin, and Mrs. Johnson, are the principal landowners. The soil is a red clay; subsoil, gravel; it is highly reputed for its fertility, the chief crops being wheat, beans, barley, roots, hops, fruit, and pasture.

The scenery is very diversified and pleasing, abounding with graceful undulations of hill and dale, meadow and wood, and watered by the river Lugg, which flows through the parish. This river is in general too narrow and too much sunk within its banks to be an object of great beauty: in some other respects it resembles the Wye, being impatient of control, and liable to sudden overflow, not solely from causes common to most rivers, but also from being dammed up or driven back by the higher current of the river Wye at the point of their junction. An Act of Parliament was passed in 1663, and a second about thirty years after, for the purpose of rendering the Lugg navigable; but unforeseen difficulties arose, and nothing was effected. In 1714 a private subscription was applied with greater success for a time, when barges navigated as far as Leominster; but from subsequent causes this was discontinued, and up to the present has not been renewed. On entering the village from Hereford, the river is crossed by a massive stone bridge, with three arches. This bridge was widened and improved in 1824, partly by subscriptions of the neighbourhood, and partly at the expense of the county.

Lugwardine is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weston; living, a vicarage; value £400, with residence, and 35 acres of glebe producing £60 yearly; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Arthur Henry Price, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1862. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has been extensively altered and completely restored at an expense of about £3,312, defrayed by subscription. It consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, and a massive square tower containing five bells and a clock. The tower is ornamented with some grim-looking specimens of antique sculpture. A painted window, by Clayton & Bell, has been recently placed in the tower; it represents the Adoration of the Magi. The interior of the church is lofty, and contains several stained glass windows and ancient monuments. The organ (a powerful-toned instrument) was rebuilt in 1872 by Nicholson, of Worcester, chiefly at the expense of Sir Herbert Croft, Bart. The parish registers commence with the year 1538.

The national school for boys and girls is a neat stone building, with residence for the master attached. It was enlarged in 1874 at a cost of £130. The average attendance is about 100. The school is under government inspection, and is supported by voluntary contributions and the children's pence, aided by government grant. There are a few small charities in connection with the church. In this parish are the extensive brick and drain-pipe works of Mr. William Godwin, who is also a manufacturer of encaustic tiles, tesselated pavements, &c., which, from their superior quality, have obtained a considerable reputation throughout the United Kingdom, and are largely used by the leading architects. These tiles have been supplied for Hereford, Worcester, Gloucester, and several other cathedrals, for her Majesty the Queen at Windsor castle, for the Assize courts, Manchester, and for a large number of important public buildings, churches, mansions, &c.

The "Lugwardine encaustic tile works" are situated in close proximity to the Withington station on the Worcester and Hereford railway, and claim special interest from the importance of the manufactory and the enterprise and perseverance which have been manifested in connection with them. There are also in this parish two or three large flour mills on the river Lugg. There are several gentlemen's and excellent residences in this parish. Newcourt, a handsome mansion, distant about half a mile west of the village, is the seat of Edward Griffiths, Esq., J.P., D.L., and Captain Richard John Griffiths, J.P., D.L.

Lugwardine Court is pleasantly situated on an eminence in the village, and is a beautiful structure. It is the seat of Sir Herbert George Denman Croft, Bart., M.A. (Oxon.), J.P., D.L., who was M.P. for the county of Hereford from 1868 to 1874, when he retired from Parliament. Sir Herbert's ancestors represented Herefordshire in fifteen parliaments between 1307 and 1695, and resided at Croft castle, in this county. Herbert Croft was Dean and Lord Bishop of Hereford (A.D. 1662), and his son, Herbert, was created a Baronet in November 1671, and was M.P. for the county of Hereford. Three of the bishop's brothers fought in the armies of Charles I., of whom the eldest, Sir William, was a very distinguished soldier, and was slain at the siege of Stoke-say castle, near Ludlow. Bishop Croft was buried in Hereford cathedral.

Longworth, the property and residence of Edward Smalley Hutchinson, Esq., J.P., D.L., is situated about 1 mile S. of the village of Lugwardine, and 4 miles E. of the city of Hereford. This mansion was for several centuries the seat of the ancient family of the Walwyns, who derived their name from Gwallain or Wallwain castle, in Pembrokeshire. Sir Peter Gwallain was engaged in the conquest of Brecknockshire, with the army of William Rufus. The mansion is fitted up with much elegance, the grounds display some fine timber, and the scenery is pleasant. Hagley Park is the seat of Arthur Hutchinson, Esq., J.P., D.L. Hephill is now the residence of Mrs. Mynors Baskerville. The other principal residences are Wilcroft (Miss James); The Rock (Mrs. Mary Ann Freeman); Blairmont (James Cowpar, Esq., M.D.); and Rose Bank, a newly-built residence in the occupation of Captain James Drummond Telfer, R.A., the chief constable of the county. Hagley is a hamlet in the parish of Lugwardine, distant about half a mile east from the church.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Post office, Lugwardine; Mrs. M.A. Etheridge, Sub-Postmistress. Letters arrive from Hereford by mail-cart at 8 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.45 p.m. Letters can be registered. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Post office, Hagley; Charles Evans, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Hereford by mail-cart at 8 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.30 p.m. Letters can be registered. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Peter's).- Rev. Arthur Henry Price, M.A., Vicar; Arthur Hutchinson, Esq., and Mr. James Whitney, Churchwardens; Mrs. Jones, Sextoness.
National School (boys and girls.- Mr, George Henry Wale, Master; Mrs. Wale, Sewing Mistress.
Steward of the Manor of Lugwardine.- Henry Child Beddoe, Esq., solicitor, Hereford.

LUGWARDINE,
WITH THE HAMLET OF HAGLEY DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Baskerville Mrs. Mynors, Hephill
Cowpar James, Esq., M.D., Blairmont
Croft Sir Herbert George Denman, Bart., M.A. (Oxon.), J.P. (for the county and for the city of Hereford), D.L. (for the county), Lugwardine court; and Carlton club, London, S.W.
Crump Mr. Samuel, Hagley gate cottage
Davis Major George, Church house
Deverell Mrs., Middle court
Freeman Mrs. Mary Ann, The Rock
Godwin Mr. William
Griffiths Ed., Esq., J.P., D.L., Newcourt
Griffiths Richard John, Esq., J.P., D.L. (captain of Worcestershire Militia), Newcourt
Gwillim The Misses, Hagley cottage
Hill Mr. James, Bridge villa
Hutchinson Arthur, Esq., J.P., D.L., Hagley park
Langslow Mr. Wm., Prospect cot., Hagley
Hutchinson Edward Smalley, Esq., J.P., D.L., Longworth
James Miss, Wilcroft house
Matthews Mr. James, Weir house
Powell Mrs. Sarah, Hagley hall
Price Rev: Arthur Henry, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Price Mrs. and Miss, Hagley villa
Pritchard Mrs., Tidnor house
Telfer Captain James Drummond, R.A. (chief constable of the county), Rose bank, Hagley hill
Thomas Mrs. Elizabeth, Hagley gate cot.
Wainwright Miss, near the Church
Wathen Mrs. John, Lugg house
Webb Mr. Thomas Lewis, Hagley
Wilkes Mr. William James, Hagley ho.
COMMERCIAL.
Bailey Thomas, farmer and butcher, Hagley; and farmer in Hampton Bishop
Barber Thos., pump maker & well sinker
Barnes Caleb, farmer, Old Court farm
Beavan Henry, wheelwright, &c., Hagley
Bengough F., assist. overseer, Goodrest
BRAIN WILLIAM EDWARD, miller and corn merchant, Lugg Bridge flour mills
Bray Fredk., carpenter & shopkpr., Hagley
Brookes Albert, shopkeeper
Brookes John, thrashing machine propr.
Bull George, farmer &hop grwr., Rock fm.
Bull Walter, cattle dealer and farmer, Lugg Bridge house
Connop Amelia, blacksmith, &c., Hagley
Derry William, head gardener for E.S. Hutchinson, Esq., J.P., Longworth cot.
Etheridge Mrs. A., sub-postmistress
Evans Charles, carpenter, joiner, and sub-postmaster, Hagley
Ford Wm., farmer & hop grwr., Cotts fm.
Fox William, farm bailiff for E.S. Hutchinson, Esq., Longworth Home farm
Godsall John, farmer and hop grower, Hynett farm
GODWIN WILLIAM, manufacturer of encaustic tiles, tesselated pavements, &c., for churches, entrance halls, &c., Lugwardine encaustic tile works, near Withington railway station; also, manufacturer of bricks and drain-pipes, &c., by patent machinery, Lugwardine and New Town brick works (see advt. at end of Hereford descriptive matter)
Godwin William, farmer and landowner
Green Thos., cattle dlr., &c., Hagley hall
Griffiths Philip, miller, Longworth mill
Harris Thomas, farm bailiff for Edward
Griffiths, Esq., J.P., Lugg Bridge cot.
Hill James, farmer
Hooper Richard, shopkeeper, Hagley hill
Hooper Robert, shopkeeper, Hagley
Jancey Thomas, shoemaker, Hagley
Jones Mrs., sextoness
Knight Richard, farmer, Castle farm
Mapp Thomas, gardener
MARTIN BENJAMIN, Crown and Anchor Inn
Moreton Thomas, haulier
Morris John, stone mason and builder
Mutlow John, farmer, Lugg Bridge farm; res., Alder's end, Tarrington, Ledbury
Phillips J., cot. farmer & haulier, Hagley
Pritchard Mrs., farmer, Tidnor farm
ROWBERRY JAMES, builder and undertaker, Church house
Spencer Richard Taylor, beer retailer, Upper Wilcroft
Tomkins John, head gardener for Edward Griffiths, Esq., J.P., D.L., Newcourt
Turner Robert Spencer, miller and farmer, Tidnor mill; res., Lugwardine
Wale George Henry, master of National school
Watkins William, blacksmith, High house
Webb Thomas Lewis, farmer, Hagley
Whitney James, tailor and woollen draper, Hagley
Williams Hilo, beer retailer, Hagley
Williams William, blacksmith, Hemhill

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Lugwardine.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library