Ludford, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

LUDFORD,
WITH THE TOWNSHIPS OF LEDWITCH, STEVENTON, AND THE SHEET.

LUDFORD is a parish partly in this county but mostly in Shropshire. A portion of the parish is included in the parliamentary borough of Ludlow, to which the village forms a pleasant suburb, being separated from the town by the river Teme. The village of Ludford is in the county of Hereford, Wolphy hundred, Ludlow union and county court district, Brimfield polling district, and Wigmore petty sessional division. The total population in 1861 was 319; in 1871, 390; inhabited houses, 85; families or separate occupiers, 89. Of these 119 persons, 29 houses, and 31 families, belonged to Herefordshire. The area of the parish is 1,867 acres, of which 663 are in Herefordshire, the annual rateable value being £1,356. Sir Charles Henry Rouse Boughton, Bart., J. Lechmere Parkinson, Esq., and ___ Davenport, Esq., are the principal landowners. Ludford was a Roman settlement. The manor of Ludford is mentioned in Domesday Book.

The parish is in the diocese of Hereford and archdeaconry and rural deanery of Ludlow; living, a vicarage; value, £183, without residence; patron, J. Lechmere Parkinson, Esq.; vicar, Rev. Charles Kent, B.C.L., of Queen's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1838, and is also vicar of Elton, and resides at Ludlow. The church is a small edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, aisle, and a square tower with one bell. It was restored in 1866 at a cost of about £600, defrayed by subscription, and it has been recently reseated. It contains several memorial windows of stained glass, representing the Resurrection and other scriptural scenes, which have been erected chiefly at the expense of the vicar. There are many ancient monuments to the memory of the Charlton and Lechmere families; also one to the memory of William Fox, Esq., who in the year 1500 rebuilt the hospital in this parish, for six poor persons.

Ludford Park, the seat of the ancient families of Charlton and Lechmere, is a fine old mansion, built about the 14th century. The estate was the property of the Fox family, temp. Henry VIII., and subsequently passed into the family of Lechmere, through the last heiress of the Charltons. King James I. was a visitor here, and a favourite chair of his Majesty is still preserved in the banqueting hall. Numerous family portraits adorn the mansion, some of which are very ancient. It is now the property and residence of James Lechmere Merrick Parkinson, Esq., J.P. Ledwitch, Steventon, and The Sheet, are townships of Ludford, situate in the county of Salop. Sheet House is the residence of Henry H. Bean, Esq.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Ludlow, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church.- Rev. Charles Kent, B.C.L., Vicar; Messrs. Oswald Speakman and James Hooper, Churchwardens; John Powell, Parish Clerk.

LUDFORD,
WITH THE TOWNSHIPS OF LEDWITCH, STEVENTON, AND THE SHEET DIRECTORY.

(Marked thus thus* are in the County of Salop.)
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
*Bean Henry H., Esq., Sheet house
*Day Mr., Teme terrace
Hooper James, Esq., Ludford villas
Parkinson James Lechmere Merrick, Esq., J.P., Ludford park
*Rea Miss, New Town villas
Smith The Misses, Ludford villas
*Stokes J., Esq., Foldgate
*Tanner Edwin, Esq., Moss cottage villa, Steventon
*Tillery N.B., Esq., New Town villas
*Twiddy Geo., Esq., Rock cot., The Sheet
*Urwick Mr. W., Teme terrace
Wilson Rev. ___, Ludford villa
COMMERCIAL.
*Acton Miss Sarah, dairykeeper, Teme ter.
Bache Mr., farmer, Lower Barn
*Bean Henry H., farmer, Sheet house
Brown Edwin, farmer, Saltmoor
Charlton Gustava, tailor
Collings Thomas, miller; res., Ludlow
*Day Brothers, millers, New Corn mills
Dodd Daniel, farmer, Whitcliffe
*Farmer Mr., farmer, Steventon
Faulkenbridge Samuel, Charlton Arms Inn
*Gibbons William Thomas, farmer, The Sheet; res., Ludlow
Jackson Edward, woodman, Whitcliffe
*Lewis Evan, farm bailiff, Foldgate
Lowe William, farmer, Hux barn
*Marston Mrs., farmer, Ledwitch
*Norton Wm., auctioneer, &c., Teme ter.
Powell John, shoemaker and parish clerk
*Powles Robert, carpenter
*Speakman Oswald, sanitary inspector, Steventon
Urwick W., auctioneer, Teme terrace
Williams Edwin, dairyman
Wood George, law clerk, Ludford cottage

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Ludford.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library