Lucton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

LUCTON is a small parish and village situated on the road leading from Tenbury and Ludlow to Presteigne, and within one mile of the river Lugg. It is distant 7 miles N.W. of Leominster, 9 S.S.W. of Ludlow, 19 N.N.W. of Hereford, and about 2½ N. of Kingsland station on the Leominster and Kington railway; It is in Wolphy hundred, Leominster union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Kingsland polling district. The population in 1861 was 174; in 1871, 171; inhabited houses. 30; families or separate occupiers, 34; area of parish, 1,017 acres; annual rateable value, £1,192. The Rev. William Trevelyan Kevill Davies, of Croft castle, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is fertile, producing wheat, barley, beans, hops, &c. Lucton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Leominster; living, a vicarage; value, about £120; patrons, the Governors of Lucton school; vicar, Rev. Arthur Compton Auchmuty, M.A., Lincoln College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1873. The Rev. George Herbert Engleheart, B.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, is the curate.

The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a stone edifice in the Early English style of architecture, with a spire and two bells. It was thoroughly restored in 1852 at a cost of £1,682. There is a Free school in the parish, founded A.D. 1708 by John Pierrepont, Esq., citizen and vintner of London, and richly endowed by him. Fifty day boys from Lucton and immediate neighbourhood are taught free and clothed; thirty more are admitted for a very small fee. The head master takes boarders. There are apprenticeships, and valuable exhibitions to the universities, viz., four exhibitions of £75 a year, tenable for four years at any college in Oxford or Cambridge, open to the head master's boarders, after two years' residence in the house, provided they are placed on the foundation before their sixteenth birthday. The head master is the Rev. Arthur Compton Auchmuty, M.A., vicar of Lucton; late scholar of Lincoln College, Oxford; second-class in classics; Newdigate prizeman; and late assistant master at Radley College. The corresponding assistant governor is the Rev. Prebendary Edwards, M.A., rector of Croft, near Leominster.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Kingsland and arrive by messenger about 8 a.m.; despatched at 5.40 p.m. Kingsland and Shobdon are the nearest money order and telegraph offices. Letters should be addressed - Lucton, Kingsland, R.S.O. (Herefordshire.)
Parish Church (St. Peter's).- Rev. Arthur Compton Auchmuty, M.A., Vicar; Rev. George Herbert Engleheart, B.A., Curate; Mr. William George, Churchwarden; Thomas Lavender, Parish Clerk.
Free School.- Rev. Arthur Compton Auchmuty, M.A. (late Scholar of Lincoln College, Oxford), Head Master; Rev. George Herbert Engleheart, B.A. (late Scholar of Exeter College, Oxford), Assistant Classical Master; John Griffiths, Esq. (Trinity College, Dublin), English Master.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Auchmuty Rev. Arthur Compton, M.A. (head master of the Free school, and vicar of Lucton), School house
Engleheart Rev. George Herbert, B.A., Schoolhouse
Griffiths John, Esq., School house
COMMERCIAL.
Brown George, blacksmith
Challenger William, tailor
Coleman William, mason and builder
Davenport Mrs., shopkeeper
George William, farmer, Lucton hall
Griffiths John, farmer
Lavender Thomas, shoemaker and parish clerk
Lloyd John, miller
Norton John, farmer, New farm
Reynolds John, farmer
Taylor Mrs., farmer, Brook house
___ ___, farmer, Lucton court (void)

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in July 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Lucton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library