Llanwarne, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Richard Lane, © Copyright 2002

LLANWARNE is a parish and village situated on the road from Ross to Hay, about ½ mile W. of the main road between Ross and Hereford (via Much Birch), and the same distance E. of the road between Monmouth and Hereford. It is distant 7 miles N.W. of Ross, 8 S. of Hereford. 10½ N. of Monmouth, and about 5 S.E. of Tram Inn Station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford railway. It is Wormelow Hundred (Upper Division), Ross Union and County District, St. Weonard's polling district, and Harewood End Petty Sessional Division. The population in 1861 was 386; in 1871, 278; inhabited houses, 84; families or separate occupiers, 101; area of parish, 2,426 a(cres), 3 r(ods), 15 p(erches); annual rateable value, £3,608. Chandos Wren Hoskyns, Esq., of Harewood House (Lord of the Manor or Hundred of Wormelow), James Rankin Esq., of Bryngwyn, and the Rev. George Henry Bosanquet, of Broomy Close House, are the principle landowners.

The soil is sandy; subsoil, chiefly sandstone rock; products, wheat, barley, roots, &c. Llanwarne is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living a rectory; value, £338, with residence; patron and rector, Rev. Walter Baskerville Mynors, B.A., of Oriel College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1855. The new church, dedicated as Christ Church, was opened on the 27th of August 1864. It is cruciform building, consisting of nave, north and south transepts, north porch, chancel, vestry, and a tower surmounted by a spirelet; the style of architecture being Geometrical Decorated. The walls are executed in stone, quarried on the site, with Bath Stone dressings; the effect of the contrast between the local stone and the freestone is excellent. The walls inside are faced with Painswick Stone ashlaring. The roofs open, of good pitch; the seats and reading-desk of red deal, stained and varnished; the pavement of Godwin's encaustic tiles. The pulpit and font are of stone, relieved with colour.

The accommodation afforded is for 258 sittings, and the cost, complete, £2,560, of which amount £650 was borrowed on rate £145 granted by the Incorporated Church Building Society, and £50 by the Hereford Diocesan Church Building Society. The remainder was subscribed principally by landowners of the district. It was erected from the designs of George Cowley Haddon Esq., architect, of Hereford and Malvern, and the builders being Messrs. Niblett and King, of Gloucester. The old tower of St. John the Baptist church is still standing. The parish registers commence with the year 1675. There is a school for boys and girls, conducted on the national system. The children from Llandinabo attend it by arrangement; total average attendance, about 30. The charities bequeathed for the benefit of the poor amount to £2 10s yearly. There are chapels for the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. Broomy Close House is the seat of the Rev. George Henry Bosanquet, M.A. Lyston Court, the property of James Rankin, Esq., is at present occupied by the Right Hon. Viscount Harberton, J.P. Wormelow Tump is distant about 2 miles N.W. of Llanwarne.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- T.A. Lane, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Ross at 8.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.15 p.m. Much Birch is the nearest money order office. Ross is the telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (Christ Church).- Rev. Walter Baskerville Mynors, B.A., Rector; Mr. Alfred J. Thomas, Churchwarden; James Rickards, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mrs. Jane Digwood, Mistress
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Windmill Hill.- Ministers Various.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Sunny Bank.- Ministers Various.
Wesleyan Chapel, Turkey Trump.- Ministers Various.
Llanwarne Brass Band.- Mr. Benjamin Court, Bandmaster.
Carriers to Hereford and Ross.- George Woodhall and Charles Burleigh pass through this parish on Wednesday and Saturdays en route to Hereford, and on Thursdays to Ross.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Bosanquet Rev. George Henry, M.A., Broomy Close House
Harberton The Right Hon. Viscount, J.P., Lyston Court
Mynors Rev. Walter Baskerville, B.A., J.P. (patron and rector), The Rectory
Sier Mrs. Emma, Duck House
COMMERCIAL.
Barrett Edmund, farmer, Hill Farm
Birmingham John, farmer, Upper Monkton; res. The Mynde, Much Dewchurch
Chitson Richard, farmer, agent to the Rev. D. Capper's estates in this county; also agent for artificial manures, Lawn Farm
Cooke Richard, farmer, Elvaston
Court Benjamin, bandmaster
Court John, builder, Turkey Tump
Court William, farmer, Hill Gate
Court William junior, butcher, The Jockey, Lyston
Davies Richard, wheelwright and blacksmith, Lyston
Digwood James, farmer, Upper House
Digwood Mrs Jane, schoolmistress
Green Mark, horse and pig dealer, Hill Gate
Hall Henry, farmer, Little Field
Jones Mr., farmer, Lower Monkton
Jones Thomas, cottage farmer and haulier, Perkins Pitch
Kemeys Charles, cooper, Windmill Hill
Lane T.A., draper, grocer, provision dealer, and sub-postmaster
Lickfold Harry, farmer, Pennypit
Morgan George, farmer; res. Llandinabo Court
Partridge John, blacksmith, Hill Gate
Rickards James, parish clerk
Thomas Alfred J., farmer, Llanwarne Court
Watkins Benjamin, farmer, Gambler Head
Williams Joseph, farmer, Lenastone Farm
Williams Thomas, carpenter and wheelwright, Windmill Hill

Transcription by Richard Lane in November 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Llanwarne.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library