Llanveyno, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001

LLANVEYNO, or LLANFAINO, although a township in the parish of Clodock, maintains its own poor, pays its own rates, and appoints its own officers. It is situated on Olchon brook, at the foot of the Hatteral hills, or Black mountains, which here divide Herefordshire from Brecknockshire and Monmouthshire. It is distant 8 miles S.S.E. of Hay, 16 W.S.W. of Hereford, and 7 N.W. of Pontrilas station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford railway; is in Ewyas Lacy hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Longtown polling district, and Abergavenny county court district. The population of the township in 1861 was 283; in 1871, 258; inhabited houses, 54; families or separate occupiers, 54; area, 4,610 acres (chiefly mountain-land); annual rateable value, £1,919. The Marquess of Abergavenny is lord of the manor of Ewyas Lacy. The principal landowners in Llanveyno are The Very Rev. the Dean of Llandaff, the Rev. Archer Clive, T. Page Phillips, Esq., Rev. G.A. Louth, J. Bladon, Esq., Mrs. Woodcock, and the Rev. C.L. Eagles, M.A. The soil is sandy; subsoil, red sandstone; chief produce, wheat, barley, oats, and roots. Llanveyno is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a vicarage annexed to Longtown; joint value, £160, derived from 212 acres of glebe; patron, the Vicar of Clodock (Rev. Charles Proberts, of Bacton); vicar, Rev. Edmund Davis, M.A., of Lexington College, United States, who was instituted in 1849, and resides at Longtown. The chapel of ease is a plain stone edifice, consisting of nave, porch, belfry with one bell, and about 45 sittings: It is an old building, but is now undergoing restoration. The parish registers (Clodock) commence with the year 1705. Llanveyno is included in the Longtown district school board. A new school is about to be erected at Crasswall, in which Llanveyno will be partly accommodated.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Abergavenny via Longtown. Peterchurch and Ewyas Harold are the nearest money order offices; the latter is the nearest telegraph office. Post town, Abergavenny.
Llanveyno Chapel of Ease.- Rev. Edmund Davis, M.A., Vicar; Mr. David Lewis, Chapel Warden.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Woodcock Geo. A., Esq., Highfield house
Woodcock Mrs., Highfield house
COMMERCIAL.
Bowen Thomas, farmer, Pont-y-mwdy
Davies Benjamin, farmer
Davies James, farmer and beer retailer
Davies John, farmer, France
Davies William, farmer
Gilbert James, farmer, Brass knoll
Griffiths John, farmer and landowner, Olchon farm
Howells Howell, farmer, Lower house
Hughes Walter, farmer, Blackhill
Johnson John, farmer, Lan-dwr
Lewis David, farmer, The Hollies
Luter Peter, farmer
Nicholls James, farmer, Turnant
Nicholls John, farmer, Turnant
Parry William, farmer, Yellow house
Powell George., farmer, Lower-Cwm
Powell John, farmer, Bailey bath
Price James, carpenter and wheelwright
Pritchard John, farmer, Old mill
Probert Thomas, farmer, Daran
Simmonds John, farmer, Upper ho., Olchon
Smith James, farmer, Triloch-ddu
Smith William, veterinary surgeon
Watkins David, farmer, Great-Cwm
Watkins James, farmer, Middle-Cwm
Watkins John, farmer, Olchon
Williams David, blacksmith
Williams Rchrd., frmr., Turboil, Blackhill
Williams Wm., farmer & landowner, Kayo
Williams William, farmer, Turnant

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in November 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Llanveyno.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library