Llanrothal, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

LLANROTHALL is a parish situated on the river Monnow, which forms the boundary between Herefordshire and Monmouthshire. The main road from Monmouth to Hereford passes between this parish and Welsh Newton. It is distant 5 miles N.N.W. of Monmouth, 9½ S.W. of Ross, and 15 S. of Hereford; is in Wormelow hundred (lower division), Monmouth union and county court district, Whitchurch polling district, and Harewood End petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 107; in 1871, 118; inhabited houses, 21; families or separate occupiers, 21; area of parish, 1,630 acres; annual rateable value, £1,472. Sir Joseph Russell Bailey, Bart., M.P., Col. Tint, Henry Wynn Pride, Esq., and the trustees of the late Joseph Price, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, chiefly rock; produce, wheat, barley, roots, &c. The manor of Tregate extends over Llanrothall and part of Llangarren, and belongs to the trustees of the estate of the late Joseph Price, Esq. Llanrothall is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a vicarage; value, £192, with 12 acres of glebe; patrons, the trustees of the late Joseph Price, Esq.; vicar, Rev. John Dundas Watherston, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1848, and is also a surrogate for the diocese of Hereford, and resides at Monmouth. The church is a small edifice, not calling for description. It is in urgent need of repair. A new school to accommodate 110 children has been built on a site given by Sir Joseph Bailey (who likewise gives a suitable residence for the teacher) from voluntary contributions and grants from societies, at a cost of £450, for the joint parishes of Welsh Newton, Llanrothall, part of St. Weonard's, and Newton Dixton. The Cwm, the residence of Henry Wynn Pride, Esq., is pleasantly situated overlooking the Monnow valley. It occupies the site of an old college of Jesuits.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Monmouth, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church.- Rev. John Dundas Watherston, M.A., Vicar; Henry Wynn Pride, Esq., Churchwarden.
District School (boys and girls).- Miss Jones, Mistress.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Pride Henry Wynn, Esq., The Cwm
COMMERCIAL.
Breakwell James, miller, Tregate mill
Cecil John, farmer, Parkside
Drew Daniel Molton, farmer, Upper Cwm
Farr John, farmer, Tregate house
Francis Henry, farmer, Scinchill
Haynes John, farmer, Llanrothall farm
Lock George, farmer, Scinchill
Lock William Albert, farmer, The Cwm

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Llanrothal.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library