Long Grove (or Llangrove), Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

LONG-GROVE, or LLANGROVE, formerly a hamlet of Llangarren, was in 1856 formed into an ecclesiastical parish. It is distant 1 miles S. of Langarren, 6½ S.W. of Ross, 4½ N. of Monmouth, and 15 S. of Hereford; is in Wormelow hundred (lower division), Ross union and county court district, Whitchurch polling district, and Harewood End petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 742; in 1871, 573; inhabited houses, 127; area of ecclesiastical parish, 1,570 acres. Sir Joseph Russell Bailey, Bart., M.P., who is lord of the manor, Mrs. Marriott, and John Jones, Esq., M.D., are the principal landowners. The soil is sandy and loamy; subsoil, chiefly sandstone rock; products, wheat, barley, roots, &c. Long-grove is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a vicarage; value, £105, with residence and 2 acres of glebe; patroness, Mrs. Marriott; vicar, Rev. George Wowen Jones, M.D., of St. Peter's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1857.

The church, called Christ Church, was built in 1858, at a cost of £1,500, solely defrayed by Mrs. Marriott, of Sellarsbrooke, the lady of the manor of Goodrich. It is in the Early English style of architecture, and consists of an aisle, nave, chancel, and vestry, with a bell-turret. The walls are of grey stone range work, with Bath stone dressings. The font is of Painswick stone. The whole area of the church is floored with red and black square flooring bricks. The communion table, on which is a green cover, with varied fringe, is of oak, of which material the pulpit, reading-desk, lectern, stalls, seats, communion rails, &c., are also composed. The window in the chancel is of stained glass, with scriptural representations. The other lights are chastely executed, and surrounded with stained glass of a variety of tints. The building is warmed with one of Grundy's patent ventilating hot-air stoves.

The silver communion service is the gift of the late T.W. Booker Blakemore, Esq., M.P. The accommodation provided is sufficient for 300 persons - all the sittings being free and unappropriated. The church and burial-ground, which are enclosed within a substantial wall, occupy three-quarters of an acre. The architect was Mr. Bodley, of Brighton, and the builder, Mr. Roberts, of Monmouth. A new schoolroom was erected in 1872 at the sole expense of Mrs. Marriott, and in 1874 a residence for the master was also built. The school is conducted on the national system, and is under government inspection; average attendance of boys and girls, about 60. There are Congregational chapels at Ruxton and Long-grove. The Wesleyans have chapels at Long-grove common and Llancloudy. Trewen, 1 mile S.E., Treworgan, 1 mile N.W., Penblaith, 2 miles W., and Llancloudy, 2 miles N.W., are places here.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Mrs. Hannah Meredith, Sub-Postmistress. Letters arrive by messenger from Ross at 10 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.20 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Whitchurch is the nearest money order office. Ross is the telegraph office and post town. The Letter-Box at Tredoughan is cleared at 5.30 p.m.
Christ Church.- Rev. George Wowen Jones, M.D., Vicar; Mr. George Scudamore, Churchwarden; George Tyler, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. Alfred Norfolk, Master; Mrs. Norfolk, Mistress.
Congregational Chapels, Ruxton and Long-grove.- Rev. William Pinn, Minister.
Wesleyan Chapel, Long-grove common.- Ministers various.
Wesleyan Chapel, Llancloudy.- Ministers various.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Burford Mrs. Elizabeth, Long-grove
Jones Rev. George Wowen, M.D. (vicar), The Vicarage
Marfell Mr. James, Llangrove
Pinn Rev. William (Congregational), Long-grove cottage
Scudamore Mr. Thomas, Trewen
Thorpe Rev. Wm. Tudor, Thatch close
COMMERCIAL.
Clark James, cooper, Long-grove common
Davies Thomas, farmer, Llancloudy
Hall William, tiler and plasterer
Hitchings Joseph, coal dealer, &c.
Keddle Thomas, farmer, Penblaith farm
LANE SAMUEL, draper, grocer, and provision dealer
Lawrence Wm., tailor, Long-grove com.
Mapp Charles, Smith's Arms Inn
Marfell James, farmer, Llangrove
Matthews William, blacksmith
Meredith Mrs. Hannah, sub-postmistress
Meredith Jn., carpenter and wheelwright
Miles George, shopkeeper
Miles Joseph, shopkeeper
Morgan John, farmer, Tredoughan
Morgan John, farmer, Tredethen
Norfolk Alfred, schoolmaster
Notley Charles, grocer, provision dealer, and draper
Parry George, farmer, Trewern
Powell George and Joseph, boot and shoe makers
Powell John, farmer, Middle Trewen
Price Robert, farmer, Upper Trewen
Priddy Chas., blacksmith and shopkeeper, Llancloudy
Pritchard John, farmer, Tretawdy
Reece Wm., carpenter, Long-grove com.
Roberts Miss A., shopkeeper
Scudamore George, farmer, Treworgan
Scudamore Thomas, farmer, Trewen
Strong George, carpenter and farmer
Strong John, boot and shoe ma., Common
Taylor Thomas, farmer, Hill farm
Tyler Geo., tiler and plasterer, Common
Watkins George, farmer

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Llangrove.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library