Llandinabo, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

LLANDINABO is a small parish situated on the main road between Hereford and Ross (via Much Birch). It is distant 8 miles S. of Hereford, 6 N.W. of Ross, 3½ W. of Fawley station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway, and 4½ S.E. of Tram Inn station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford railway. It is in Wormelow hundred (upper division), Ross union and county court district, Much Birch polling district, and Harewood End petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 63; in 1871, 57; inhabited houses, 12; families or separate occupiers, 12; area of parish, 494a. 2r. 22p.; annual rateable value, £883. Chandos Wren Hoskyns, Esq., of Harewood house (who is lord of the manor), the Rev. George Henry Bosanquet, of Broomy Close house, Mr. John Matthews, and Mr. William Matthews, are the chief landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and red sandstone; products, wheat, barley, roots, &c. Llandinabo is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a rectory; value, £130; patron, C. Wren Hoskyns, Esq.; rector, Rev. Henry Lloyd Oswell, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, who was instituted in 1872, and is also chaplain of Harewood, and resides at Belle Vue, in the parish of Pencoyd. The church of St. Dinebo is an ancient stone edifice, with nave, chancel, bell-turret at the west end, but no bell. The north side of the chancel was rebuilt in 1873. The register commences with the year 1785. The children from this parish attend the school at Llanwarne. Broomy Close House is the residence of the Rev. George Henry Bosanquet. It lies between Llandinabo and Llanwarne.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Ross about 9 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.30 p.m. Much Birch is the nearest money order office. Ross is the telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Dinebo).- Rev. Henry Lloyd Oswell, M.A., Rector; Mr. George Morgan, Churchwarden; John Butcher, Parish Clerk.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Bosanquet Rev. George Henry, Broomy Close house
Matthews Mrs., Oakland villa
COMMERCIAL.
Butcher John, blacksmith and parish clerk
Lickfold Edward, farmer, Pennypit farm
Matthews John, farmer and landowner, Oakfields farm
Matthews William, timber, bark, and hoop merchant, Whitewell house
Morgan George, farmer, Llandinabo farm (and at Llanwarne)
Naylor Thomas, farmer, New Grove house

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Llandinabo.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library