Little Marcle, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

LITTLE MARCLE is a parish on the borders of Gloucestershire, distant 3 miles S.W. of Ledbury, 8 N.W. of Newent, and 12 E.S.E. of Hereford; is in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Much Marcle polling district. The population in 1861 was 168; in 1871, 159; inhabited houses, 27; families or separate occupiers, 36; area of parish, 1,218a. 3r. lp.; annual rateable value; £1,729. The Right Hon. Earl Somers, of Eastnor castle, is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Earl Somers, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, the Governors of St. Catherine's Hospital (Ledbury), Rev. Edward Woodyatt, Mr. Charles South, Mr. John Sparkman, and Mrs. Fleetwood. The soil is strong clay; subsoil, marly, and in some parts gravelly. This is a good cider and hop district; the other chief crops are wheat, beans, roots, &c. Little Marcle is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of South Froome; living, a rectory; value, £275, with residence; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; rector, Rev. David Price, B.A., of Jesus College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1865.

The new church of St. Michael was erected in 1869 at a cost of £1,137. It has accommodation for 122 persons. The site was presented by Earl Somers. The old church, which was built by the Hanbury family in the beginning of the last century, had fallen into a ruinous state, and was inconveniently situated. The parish registers commence with the year 1700. There is a charity of £4 yearly value, left by the late Rev. Thomas Hanbury, and now paid by Earl Somers to the churchwarden, who distributes the amount in clothing to the poor of the parish according to the will of the donor. The Rev. Mr. Hanbury, a former rector, left a library of books to the rector for the use of the inhabitants to the end of the world. There being no resident rector to take charge of them, they were taken away (except one book) by some dishonest parties who had access to them. The parochial school for boys and girls was erected about twelve years ago. It is under the supervision of the rector and government inspection; average attendance, about 45. Little Marcle Court, the property of Earl Somers, was, about 140 years ago, the residence of Sir John Hanbury. It is now a farm-house in the occupation of labourers.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Ledbury about 10.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 3 p.m. Ledbury is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Michael's).- Rev. David Price, B.A., Rector; Mr. Charles South, Churchwarden; John Webb, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls).- Miss Eliza Brown, Mistress.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Price Rev. David, B.A. (rector), The Rectory
COMMERCIAL.
Brown John, farmer, Putson
Brown Miss Eliza, schoolmistress
Dobbs Mrs., farmer, Ladding farm
Lloyd John, farmer, The Brook farm
Popnell Thomas, wheelwright, &c.
South Charles, farmer, landowner, and timber merchant, Lillands
Stephens Mrs. Mary, frmr., Tyrrell's frith
Stephens William, farmer, Baregains
Trueman George, farmer, Lower house
Webb John, parish clerk

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/LittleMarcle.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library