Little Hereford, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

HEREFORD (LITTLE),
WITH THE TOWNSHIP OF UPTON AND HAMLET OF MIDDLETON.

LITTLE HEREFORD is a parish with a railway station (Easton Court) on the Wooferton, Tenbury, and Bewdley branch of the G.W. and L. and N.W. Joint railways. It forms one of the north-eastern promontories of Herefordshire, which project into the counties of Worcester and Salop, and is situated on the main road to Tenbury, and near the river Teme. It is distant 3 miles W. of Tenbury, 5½ S.E. of Ludlow, 8 N.E. of Leominster, and 22 N. of Hereford; is in Wolphy hundred, Brimfield polling district, Tenbury union and county court district, and Leominster petty sessional division. The population (including Upton township) in 1861 was 458; in 1871, 509; inhabited houses, 100; families or separate occupiers, 106; area of parish, 3,550 acres; annual rateable value, £4,750. Sir Joseph Russell Bailey, Bart., M.P., of Glan-Usk park, Breconshire, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey and gravelly; subsoil, stone and gravel; chief crops, wheat, barley, hops, and roots.

Little Hereford is in the diocese of Hereford and archdeaconry and rural deanery of Ludlow; living, a rectory, to which is annexed the vicarage of Ashford Carbonell; joint value, £275, with residence and 17 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Worcester; rector, Rev. Llewellyn Jones, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1874. The Rev. Thomas Platt, M.A., of Christ's College, Cambridge, is the curate. A new rectory house has been recently erected. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is a curious old rubble-stone edifice, in mixed style, with belfry and three bells. It was beautifully restored in 1849 at the expense of the late Joseph Bailey, Esq., M.P., and some improvements were made in the chancel in 1865 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It has nave, chancel, sedilia, piscina, font, harmonium, two ancient brasses, and several monuments, one of which is to the memory of the late Joseph Bailey, Esq., M.P.; there is also a handsome stained glass memorial window to the above gentleman, erected by subscription amongst the parishioners. The register commences with the year 1714.

There is a national school for boys and girls, with residence for the master, erected at a cost of £800, to which a class-room was added in 1874 by Sir J.R. Bailey, Bart., at a further cost of £200. It is under government inspection. School accommodation is now provided for about 100 children. Easton Court, the seat of Edward Otto Partridge, Esq., J.P., is a modern stone mansion, pleasantly situated, and surrounded by extensive ornamental grounds. Upton is a township distant about 1 mile S. of the church. The population in 1861 was 98; in 1871, 109; inhabited houses, 19. Upton Court, the property and residence of William Lane, Esq., is of the Elizabethan period. The manor of Upton became the property of Mr. Lane in 1839. Middleton (formerly called Dirty Middleton) is a hamlet distant 1 mile N. of the church.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- William Symonds, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Tenbury at 8.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.30 p.m. Letters for Middleton hamlet are received through Ludlow. Brimfield is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post towns, Tenbury and Ludlow.
Parish Church (St. Mary Magdalene).- Rev. Llewellyn Jones, M.A., Rector; Rev. Thomas H.P. Platt, M.A., Curate; William Wheeler, Esq., and Edward Otto Partridge, Esq., Churchwardens; Thomas Banks, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. William Edward Cross, Master; Mrs. Eliza Cross, Sewing Mistress.
Easton Court Railway Station (Wooferton, Tenbury, and Bewdley branch. of Great Western and London and North-Western Joint Railways).- Thomas Lloyd, Station Master.

HEREFORD (LITTLE),
WITH THE TOWNSHIP OF UPTON AND HAMLET OF MIDDLETON DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Edwards Francis, Esq., Broadfield house
Jones Rev. Llewellyn, M.A. (rector of Little Hereford and vicar of Ashford Carbonell), The Rectory
Lane William, Esq., Upton court
Lowe Mrs., Aynol villa
Partridge Edward Otto, Esq., J.P., Easton court
Platt Rev. Thomas, M.A. (curate)
Smith John Soden, Esq., Upton
Tomkins Mrs., Tenbury road
Wheeler William, Esq., Woodbine villa
COMMERCIAL.
Addis Miss Sarah, blacksmith, Middleton
Arnett John Bill, farmer, Middleton
Arnett William, farmer, Bleathwood
Banks Thomas, carpenter and parish clk.
Bayliss Thos., frmr. & hop grwr., Middleton
Clee John, grazier, &c., Easton villa
Cross William Edward, schoolmaster
Davies John, farmer, Middleton
Davies Mrs. Catherine, farmer and hop grower, Woodhampton
Edwards Francis, landowner, farmer, and hop grower, Broadfield house
Froggatt Elias Richard, frmr., Bleathwood
Froggatt Henry, farmer, Bryhampton
Giles John, farmer and hop grower, Middleton
Lane John S.D., miller, Upton mill; Henry Morris, Manager
Lane William, landowner, farmer, and hop grower, Upton court
Lawley Joseph, blacksmith
Lloyd Thomas, station master, Easton Court railway station
Lucas Charles, farmer, Bleathwood
Maund Benjamin, farmer, Furlongs
Morris Hy., manager at Upton flour mill
Palmer William, farmer and carpenter
Parker William, farmer, The Cliffs
Potts James, farmer
Powell James, farmer, Lynch farm, Upton
Smith John Soden, farmer, hop grower, and landowner, Upton
Symonds Thos., carpenter & wheelwright
Symonds Wm., shopkpr. and sub-postmstr.
Wall George, boot and shoe maker
Weaver John, farmer, Middleton
Wilson Richard, farmer and hop grower, Easton farm

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in April 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/LittleHereford.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library