Little Dewchurch, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

LITTLE DEWCHURCH is a scattered village and parish situated on the main road between Hereford and Ross via Hoarwithy, and distant 6 miles S.S.E. of Hereford, 7 N.N.W. of Ross, and 3 S.W. of Holme Lacy station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway; is in Wormelow hundred (upper division), Hereford union and county court district, Much Birch polling district, and Harewood End petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 322; in 1871, 348; inhabited houses, 73; families or separate occupiers, 74; area of parish, 1,653 acres; annual rateable value, £2,367. Chandos Wren Hoskyns, Esq., of Harewood house, is lord of the manor, and the Governors of Guy's hospital, London, are the principal landowners. The parish is fertile, the produce being wheat, beans, barley, fruit, and roots. Soil, loam and clay; subsoil, soft rock. Little Dewchurch is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; the living was formerly annexed to Hentland, but is now a separate vicarage; value, £117, with handsome residence and 3 acres of globe, also £7 7s. 4d. paid by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Thomas Meredith Beavan, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1872. The register begins with the year 1730. The church, which had fallen into decay, underwent complete restoration in 1869-70, at a cost of £1,500. The nave and chancel were rebuilt from the ground, and the tower, which contains five bells, has been carefully repaired. There is a reredos; and the east window of chancel and two of the side windows are filled with stained glass. Accommodation is provided for 130 persons. The restoration was carried out under the superintendence of Mr. Preedy, architect, London. A new school for boys and girls was erected in 1868; at a cost of £381. It is under Government inspection; the number of children on the books is 58; average attendance, 34. In this parish there formerly existed a nunnery, on the site of which cottages have been built.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received from Ross via Hoarwithy. The wall letter-box is cleared at 4.45 p.m. on week-days only. Hoarwithy is the nearest money order office. Hereford is the nearest telegraph office. Post town, Ross.
Parish Church (St. David's).- Rev. Thomas Meredith Beavan, M.A., Vicar; Mr. John Fowler, Churchwarden; William Preece, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls).- Mrs. Elizabeth Jones, Mistress.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Beavan Rev. Thos. Meredith, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Garrold Mr. Rich. Henry, Killforge ho.
COMMERCIAL.
Andrews George, tailor
Bennett Joseph, farmer, Cwm farm
Brace Charles, cottage farmer
Connop Mr., farmer, Sunny bank
Cooper Jacob, cottage farmer, Catson
Coulbourn John, cot. farmer and haulier
Dallow Jas., cottage farmer and mason
Dallow Richard, cot. farmer and haulier
Fowler John, farmer, Morastone
Froggatt Thomas, farmer, Knapp green
Harper John, farmer
Hartland John Henry, grocer, provision dealer, flour and meal factor, and collector of rates for Little Dewchurch, Aconbury, and Ballingham
Hartland Mrs. Sarah, Broadway house
Hartland Wm., frmr., Lower Witherstone
Hartland William Edward, farmer, Broadway lands
Higgs William Plough Inn
Hoddell Thos., frmr., Upper Witherstone
Jeffreys Edward, blacksmith
Jones Albert Wm., wheelwright & cooper
Jones Mrs. Elizabeth, schoolmistress
Jones John, boot and shoe maker
Lewis George, farmer, Mount Boon
Lewis Richard, farmer, Prethegar farm
Miles Jacob, boot and shoe maker
Moxley John, farmer, Dewchurch court
Pickering George, farmer and baulier
Preece Philip, Waterman's Arms
Preece William, parish clerk
Seal Thomas, miller and farmer
Southan George, farmer
Williams Frederick George, farmer, Altbough (and in Hentland parish)

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in March 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/LittleDewchurch.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library