Little Cowarne, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

LITTLE COWARNE, otherwise COWARNE PARVA, is a parish and village situate about 1½ miles W. of the main road between Bromyard and Hereford, 5 miles S.W. of Bromyard, 10 N.E. of Hereford, 9 S.E. of Leominster, 13 N.W. of Ledbury, and 6 E. of Dinmore railway station. It is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, county court district, and petty sessional division, and Burley Gate polling district. The population in 1861 was 186; in 1871, 213; inhabited houses, 43; families or separate occupiers, 46; area of parish, 696 acres; annual rateable value, £1,133. John Hungerford Arkwright, Esq., of Hampton court, Leominster, and James Parker, Esq., of Lulsley court, Worcester, are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil, clay and rock; chief produce, wheat, beans, peas, hops, and fruit. Little Cowarne is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; living, a vicarage united to the rectory of Ullingswick; joint value, £335, with 54 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Worcester; vicar, Rev. John Middleton Ware, LL.B., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1855, and resides at Ullingswick rectory. The church is an old Norman edifice, with nave, chancel, south porch, font, and two bells. It underwent restoration in 1869 at a cost of £510. There are three small windows of stained glass in the chancel. Divine service is held once on Sundays. The earliest register is dated 1563. The children of this parish attend the national schools at Ullingswick and Pencombe.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Worcester via Bromyard, and arrive from the latter place by messenger at 10 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4 p.m. Bromyard is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church.- Rev. John Middleton Ware, LL.B., Vicar; Mr. Edward Jones, Churchwarden; William Cross, Parish Clerk.
Carrier to Hereford and Bromyard.- William Cross, every Wednesday and Saturday, returning from the Hop Pole Inn about 4.30 p.m. the same days. also, to Bromyard on Mondays.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(None listed)
COMMERCIAL.
Abell Edward, frmr. & hop gr., White ho.
Bray John, farmer, Upper house
Cross William, carrier and parish clerk
Edwaars J., cottage farmer
Evans Joseph, shopkeeper, The Chapel
Gibbs John, farmer, The Heath
Howells John, farmer, Lower house
Hyde Joseph, cottage frmr., Pilliner hill
Jones Edward, farmer, Redenbatch
Jones Richard, farmer, Rams corner
Jones Thomas, hurdle and hoop maker
Morris William, cottage farmer
Nott John, farmer, Meadow court
Parker James, landowner, farmer, and hop grower, Shortwood & Court farms; res., Lulsley court, Worcester
Robinson William, farmer, The Steps
Thomas Jonathan, farm bailiff to James Parker, Esq., Little Cowarne court
Turbill Wm., blacksmith & cider retailer
Watts Thos., shopkeeper and cot. farmer, The Cherry orchard
Weaver James, cot. frmr., Ferney corner
White William, miller & farmer, Cowarne mill

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in September 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/LittleCowarne.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library