Lingen, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

LINGEN,
WITH LIMEBROOK TOWNSHIP.

LINGEN is a parish and village situate in the north-western portion of the county, on the main road from Ludlow to Presteigne, and on the Leintwardine road. It is distant 4 miles S.W. of Wigmore, 4 N.E. of Presteigne, 11 S.W. of Ludlow, 14 W.N.W. of Leominster, and 23 N.W. of Hereford; is in Wigmore hundred, petty sessional division, and polling district, Presteigne union and county court district. The projected railway from Presteigne to Clun and Bishop's Castle is surveyed to intersect the parish, but the plan seems in abeyance. The population in 1861 was 287; in 1871, 272; inhabited houses, 63; families or separate occupiers, 67; area of parish, 2,283 acres; annual rateable value, £2,044. The Rev. John Edwards is lord of the manor and chief owner of the parish. The soil is various, producing wheat, barley, oats, and roots. Close to the church are the remains of the old castle of the Lingens. The parish is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Leominster; living, a vicarage; value, £95, with residence; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Leonidas Clint, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1874, and is also chaplain of Upper Kinsham.

The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a plain edifice, with nave, chancel, porch, small belfry and three bells. It is in a fair state of repair. There is a school for boys and girls, supported by the Rev. John Edwards, W.J. Gisborne, Esq., several subscribers, Betton's charity, and the government grant. The average attendance is about 60. Upwards of £700 have been spent upon the school buildings. A night school is also held during the winter. The charities belonging to the parish amount to about £8 10s. yearly. The Primitive Methodists have two chapels here. Limebrook, a township situated about half a mile south of the village, is partly in this parish and partly in that of Wigmore. Here was formerly a cell, belonging to Aveney, in Normandy, and at a little distance, near the left bank of the river Lugg, was a priory of nuns of the order of St. Augustine, founded by some of the Mortimer family about the reign of Richard I., and which continued till the general suppression, when it had six nuns, and was valued at £22 17s. 8d. per annum.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Presteigne at 10.15 a.m. The wall letter-box is cleared at 4 p.m. Presteigne and Shobdon are the nearest money order and telegraph offices. Letters should be addressed - Lingen, Presteigne, R.S.O. (Radnorshire.)
Parish Church (St. Michael's).- Rev. Leonidas Clint, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. William W. Webb and S. Evans, Churchwardens; Richard Perks, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls).- Mr. John Davies, Master; Mrs. Davies, Mistress.
Primitive Methodist Chapels.- Ministers various.

LINGEN,
WITH LIMEBROOK TOWNSHIP DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Clint Rev. Leonidas, M.A. (vicar of Lingen and chaplain of Upper Kinsham), The Vicarage
Gisborne Walter Joseph, Esq.
COMMERCIAL.
Briscoe Thomas, farmer, Birtley
Bufton Mr., farmer, Bog bush
Burgoyne Joseph, beer retlr. & shopkpr.
Co-Operative Stores; C. Mellin, Manager
Davies James, farmer, Court house and Mynde farms
Davies John, schoolmaster
Davies John, beer retailer and hurdle maker
Davies John Hunt, farmer and landowner, The Raft; res., Shirley, Aymestrey,
Davies William, shopkeeper, Birtley
Dunn Edward, farmer, Cwm Crave
Gittens Mr., farmer
Hughes Mr., farmer, Upper Limebrook
Mellin Cornelius, carpenter and sbopkpr.
Mellin Wm., cot. farmer and wheelwright
Meredith Richard, farmer
Morgan Mrs. S., miller, Limebrook mill
Nott James, farmer and landowner, The Farlands
Price Edward, farmer, Brierly hill
Price James, farmer, Limebrook
Price John, farmer, Brierly hill
Reynolds Benjamin, farmer, Brierly hill
Reynolds Benjamin, farmer, Lingen
Reynolds William, wheelwright
Rollings Edward, tailor and draper
Strangward Robert, blacksmith
Stubbs Page, farmer, Brierly hill
Webb Wm. Wellings, farmer & landownr.

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Lingen.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library