Letton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

LETTON,
WITH HURSTLEY TOWNSHIP.

LETTON, a small parish consisting of the townships of Letton and Hurstley, is situated on the northern bank of the river Wye, and on the main road between Hereford and Hay. It is distant 12 miles W.N.W. of Hereford, 9 N.E. of Hay, 9 S. of Kington, 6½ S.W. of Weobley, and about 2 from Eardisley and Kinnersley stations on the Hereford, Hay, and, Brecon branch of the Midland railway. It is in Stretford and Wolphy hundreds, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Eardisley polling district, and Hereford county court district. The total population in 1861 was 238; in 1871, 241; inhabited houses, 51; families or separate occupiers, 58. Letton township contained 144 persons and 30 inhabited houses; Hurstley township contained 97 persons and 21 houses. The area of the parish is 1,196 acres; annual rateable value, £2,291. The Rev. Henry Blisset, M.A. (lord of the manor of Letton), Thomas Reavely, Esq. (lord of the manor of Hurstley), and Captain Thomas William James Downes, are the chief landowners. The soil is principally clay, and the subsoil clay, except by the river, where it is gravel and alluvial soil. The products are wheat, barley, roots, and pasture. In this parish is a barrow. Letton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a rectory; value, £230, with residence and 19 acres of glebe; patron, Rev. Henry Blisset, M.A.; rector, Rev. Thomas Whitley, M.A., Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1872, and is also rector of Willersley.

The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient stone edifice, with nave, chancel, south transept, and a tower containing three bells. In the chancel are several mural tablets to the Blisset family. An American organ was added in 1875. The earliest register is dated 1560. This parish partakes with Bredwardine and Staunton-on-Wye in the proceeds of Jarvis's Charity, the income of which amounts to about £2,000 per annum, distributed according to a chancery scheme of 1852 in the proportions of 13; 11, and 6, among the inhabitants of Bredwardine, Staunton-on-Wye, and Letton respectively. The schools are conducted on the national system; and are for boys, girls, and infants; average attendance at Letton school, 40. Letton Court is the seat of the Rev. Henry Blisset, M.A. (Balliol College, Oxford), and John Freeman Blisset, Esq., J.P., D.L. It is a handsome red brick mansion in the mediæval style, and was rebuilt a few years since. It is situate adjacent to the church. The Rectory is an excellent residence, lately erected. Hurstley township comprises about 420 acres. It is about 1½ miles N. of Letton, and a short distance from Kinnersley railway station.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Thomas Nicholas, Sub-Postmaster, Over Letton. Letters arrive by mail-cart from Hereford at 8.10 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.15 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Eardisley is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. John the Baptist).- Rev. Thomas Whitley, M.A., Rector; John Freeman Blisset, Esq., and Mr. John Edward Young, Churchwardens; William Rogers, Parish Clerk.
Jarvis's Charity School (boys and girls).- Mr. Samuel C. Norris, Master; Mrs. Sarah Norris Mistress.

LETTON,
WITH HURSTLEY TOWNSHIP DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Blisset Rev. Henry, M.A., J.P., Letton court; and Carlton club, London, S.W.
Blisset John Freeman, Esq., J.P., D.L., Letton court
Whitley Rev. Thomas, M.A. (rector of Letton and of Willersley), The Rectory
COMMERCIAL.
Chandler George, farmer, Hurstley
Evans William, farmer, Kinley
Grigg J., farmer, Bridge-end
Hobby William, farmer, Kinley
Jones James, farmer
Norris Samuel C., master of Jarvis's charity school
Price Jas., head gardener for T. Reavely, Esq., J.P., D.L. (Kinnersley castle), Hurstley
Price John, farmer
Rogers Wm., sawyer, frmr., & parish clk.
Smith John, farmer
Weaver Henry, head gardener for Rev. H. Blisset, M.A., J.P., Letton court
Young John Edward, farmer, Hurstley court

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Letton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library