Kinsham (Upper and Lower), Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

LOWER KINSHAM is a township in the parish of Presteigne, Radnorshire, but belonging to the county of Hereford. It is distant about 3½ miles E. of Presteigne, 8 N.E. of Kington, and 23 N.W. of Hereford; is in Wigmore hundred and polling district, Presteigne union and county court district, and Kington petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 44; in 1871, 28; inhabited houses, 7; area of township, 341 acres; annual rateable value, £340. The trustees of the Evelyn estates are lords of the manor and owners of the soil. Lower Kinsham is included in Byton school board district.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Presteigne, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
RESIDENT.
Edwards William Hotchkiss, farmer, Lower Court farm; and at New House farm, Upper Kinsham.

UPPER KINSHAM is a parish situated on the main road from Presteigne to Leintwardine, distant about 4 miles E.N.E. of Presteigne, 8 N.E. of Kington, 12 W.N.W. of Leominster; and 23 N.W. of Hereford; is in Wigmore hundred and polling district, Presteigne union and county court district, and Kington petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 88; in 1871, 79; inhabited houses, 15; families or separate occupiers, 15; area of parish, 1,243 acres; annual rateable value, £943. The trustees of the late Francis Evelyn, Esq., are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The soil is various; chief produce, wheat, barley, roots, &c. Kinsham is a donative; stipend, £40 yearly, paid by the trustees of the Evelyn estates; chaplain, Rev. Leonidas Clint, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, who resides at Lingen vicarage. The church is a small structure, with nave, chancel, gallery, and belfry; in the chancel there is a recess containing a piscina of some interest, and on the walls are the escutcheons of several members of the Oxford and Mortimer family. Upper Kinsham is included in Byton school board district. Kinsham Court, formerly the seat of members of the Oxford family, is at present the property of the trustees of the Evelyn estates. It was also occupied by Lord Byron, and subsequently by Miss Nightingale. Immediately below Kinsham court is Kinsham dingle, presenting one of the most picturesque views in the county, and is a place of resort for parties many miles round; the river Lugg winds round the bottom of the dingle.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Presteigne about 11 a.m. Shobdon is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Letters should be addressed - Kinsham, Presteigne, R.S.O. (Radnorshire.)
Parish Church.- Rev. Leonidas Clint, M.A., Chaplain; Mr. James Preece Parish Clerk
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Ramsay R., Esq., Kinsham court
Roper W. Trevor, Esq., Kinsham
COMMERCIAL.
Brown Francis, gamekeeper
Edwards William H., farmer, New house and Lower Court farms
Preece James, blacksmith and parish clerk
Radnor William, farmer, Letchmoor
Roper W. Trevor, farmer, Kinsham farm

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Kinsham.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library