Kinnersley, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

KINNERSLEY,
WITH NEWCHURCH TOWNSHIP.

KINNERSLEY is a parish and railway station on the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of the Midland railway, distant 11¼ miles N.W. of Hereford (14 by road), 9½ N.E. of Hay, 7 S.S.E. of Kington, 5 S.W. of Weobley, and 12 S.W. of Leominster. It is situated on the main road between Leominster and Hay, in Stretford and Wolphy hundreds, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Eardisley polling district, and Kington county court district. The population in 1861 was 313; in 1871, 356; inhabited houses, 68; families or separate occupiers, 69; area of parish, 2,199 acres; annual rateable value, £2,922. Thomas Reavely, Esq. (who is lord of the manor), Colonel R. Bridgford, and Mrs. Pease, are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil, marl; chief produce, wheat, barley, roots, fruit, and a few hops.

Kinnersley is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a rectory; value, £420, with residence and 15 acres of globe; patron, Thomas Reavely, Esq.; rector, Rev. Frederick Andrews, B.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1873. The church, dedicated to St. James, is a very old structure partly in the Early English style; some portions have been added at different periods, and are in the Middle Pointed style. The interior consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, and was restored and reseated in 1867-68 at a cost of £965. It has now accommodation for about 270 persons. The reredos, which was of old oak, has been recently gilded and otherwise ornamented. An organ has been presented by Mrs. F.F. Reavely, in memory of Miss Emily Doraville. The windows are of stained glass. There is one good monument of the period of Charles I., and the remains of one brass of the time of Henry V. The tower dates as far back as 1150, and has a saddleback roof. It was restored in 1871 at the expense of Colonel Bridgford. The earliest register is dated 1625.

The charities belonging to the poor amount to about £10 yearly. New parish schools have been built, and are conducted on the voluntary system. The mistress is certificated, and the average attendance of boys and girls is about 45. Kinnersley Castle is a fine old mansion nearly surrounded by trees. It is the seat of Thomas Reavely, Esq., J.P. and D.L. for the county, who served the office of high sheriff in 1867. Some magnificent views are to be obtained from the top of the tower. The Rectory is a substantial stone residence, delightfully situated near the castle. It is surrounded by extensive ornamental grounds, and commands some most beautiful and extensive prospects. Newton is the residence of Colonel R. Bridgford, J.P. Newchurch is a township distant 1 mile N.E. of the parish church. It is in Wolphy hundred, and comprises about 300 acres, chiefly the property of Mrs. Pease. Ailey, Newton, and Sallies are places in this parish.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford via Letton, and arrive from the latter place by messenger about 10 a.m. The letter-box (near the church) is cleared at 3.35 p.m. on week-days only. Eardisley is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. James's).- Rev. Frederick Andrews, B.A., Rector; Colonel R. Bridgford and Mr. Thomas Green, Churchwardens; Samuel Morris, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls).- ___ ___, Mistress.
Railway Station (Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of Midland Railway).- William Gabe Station Master.

KINNERSLEY,
WITH NEWCHURCH TOWNSHIP DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Andrews Rev. Frederick, B.A. (rector), The Rectory
Beavan Mr. Henry, Ailey
Bridgford Colonel, J.P., Newton
Harper Mr. Edward, Yew-tree cottage
Parry Mrs.
Reavely Thomas, Esq., J.P., D.L., Kinnersley castle
Waring Mrs., Stanley cottage, Ailey
Webb Mr. John, Ailey villa
COMMERCIAL.
Beavan Henry, farmer, Ailey
Beavan John, farmer, Ailey
Brace James, blacksmith, contractor, &c., near Railway station, Ailey
Breconshire Coal and Lime Company, Limited, depot at Railway station
Deane Edmund, Belle Vue Hotel
Evans Mrs. Margaret, shopkeeper and beer retailer, Ailey
Gabe William, station master, Railway station
Gough Richard A., farmer, hop grower, and agent to Col, R. Bridgford, J.P., Old castle, Ailey
Green Thomas, farmer, Lower Ailey
Hobby Mr., farmer, The Parks
James William, farmer, Lower Newton
Jones James, farmer, Ailey
Lilwall Jas., frmr. & hop gr., Newchurch
Morris Samuel, parish clerk
Powell James, coal agent, &c., Railway station; res., Bridge house; Brobury
Sirrel Edward, veterinary forge and agricultural implement maker
Smith James, farmer, Gate farm
Taylor Richard, gamekeeper, Newton
Trumper Samuel, wheelwright, &c.
Watkins John, carpenter, &c., Sallies
Whiting William, farmer, Ailey
Wilton John, farmer
Young John Edward, farmer, Hurstley ct.

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Kinnersley.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library