Kingstone, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Marion B. Wilkinson, © Copyright 2001

KINGSTONE is a village and parish situated on the road from Ross to Hay, distant 6 miles S.W. of Hereford, 15 E.S.E. of Hay, 17 N.N.W. of Monmouth, and about 3 N.W. of Tram Inn station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway (West Midland section). It is in Webtree hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Madley polling district, and Hereford county court district. the population in 1861 was 460; in 1871, 488; inhabited houses, 108; families or separate occupiers, 119; area of parish, 1,991a. 2r. 13p.; annual rateable value, £3,380. The Rev. Archer Clive, of Whitfield, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. John Wathen, Esq., and James Martin, Esq., are also landowners here. The soil is loamy and gravelly; subsoil, gravel; chief crops, wheat, barley, roots, beans, peas,&c. Kingstone is in the diocese, archdeaconry and rural deanery of Hereford; living, a vicarage, annexed to Thruxton rectory; joint value, £300, with 15 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; vicar, Rev. T. Thistlethwaite Smith, who was instituted in 1870, and resides at Thruxton rectory.

The church, dedicated to St. Michael and all Angels, is a spacious edifice, chiefly in the Early English style of architecture. It has a square tower (containing five bells), which was rebuilt in 1842 by the parishioners and the late Archdeacon Wetherell; the rest of the church was also partially restored. The interior consists of double chancel and double nave - a peculiar construction caused by additions - aisle, porch, font, and several monuments. An organ, by Nicholson, of Worcester, was placed in the church by parochial and general subscription in 1858. A stained glass window, by Hardman, of Birmingham, was erected in 1866 at the east end by the Rev. Archer Clive, as executor of Mrs. Wetherell, in memory of Archdeacon Wetherell, a former vicar of this parish. The earliest register is dated 1659. the charities amount to about £65 yearly. there is a mixed national school for this parish and Thruxton. It is under government inspection; number of children under instruction, between 60 and 70. There is a chapel for the Primitive Methodists, erected in 1857. Coldwell, distant half a mile W., consists of a few cottages.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford at 11 a.m. the letter-box is cleared at 4 p.m. Madley is the nearest money order office. Hereford is the nearest telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Michael's).- Rev. T. Thistlethwaite Smith, Vicar; Messrs. Thomas W. Wathen and F.R.C. Holmes, Churchwardens; Charles Davies, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Miss Janet Breckenridge, Mistress.
Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Rev. Adam Glegg, Minister.
Carriers to Hereford.- Thomas Maddox (from Dorstone) passes through every Wednesday and Saturday about 9 a.m.; stops at the King's Head Inn, Broad street, Hereford; returns the same days about 7 p.m.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Ackrill G., Esq., Mona court
Evans David, Esq., L.R.C.P., M.R.C.S., Kingstone villa
Garrett Mr., Green cottage
Glegg Rev. Adam (Primitive Methodist), Rose cottage
COMMERCIAL.
Badham William, farmer, Arkstone court
Breckenridge Miss Janet, schoolmistress
Davies Chas., blacksmith and parish clerk
Deakin James Edward, farmer, The Grange
Evans David, L.R.C.P., M.R.C.S., medical officer of health to Dore union, and
surgeon to Madley district, Kingstone villa
Holmes F.R.C., farmer, Dunswater
Jones ___, butcher and shopkeeper
Lewis Charles, farmer, Hanley court
Lewis James, farmer, Mere court and Smallbrook farms
Lewis James, shopkeeper and shoemaker
Lewis John, mason and shopkeeper
Mayos John, miller and farmer
Morgan Mrs. Hannah, Mason's Arms Inn, Coldwell
Powell Thomas, wheelwright
Roberts Isaac, mason
Seall John, carpenter and builder
Seall Mrs. Mary, Bull Ring Inn
Wathan Edwin, farmer, Green court
Wathen Thomas W., farmer, Bridge court
Wheeler Mrs., farmer, Marshes
Williams John, shoemaker
Woodyatt Richard, police constable
Wyman ___, shopkeeper

Transcription by Marion Wilkinson in August 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Kingstone.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library