Kings Pyon, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Marion B. Wilkinson, © Copyright 2001

KING'S PYON is a village situated between the Tillington and Weobley and Canon Pyon and Stretford Bridge roads, which form the boundary of the parish. It is distant 3 miles E.S.E. of Weobley, 7 S.W. of Leominster, and 9 N.W. of Hereford; is in Stretford hundred, Weobley union, petty sessional division, and polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 489; in 1871, 471; inhabited houses, 103; families or separate occupiers, 108; area of parish, 2,407 acres; annual rateable value, £2,863. Thomas Cooke, Esq., who is lord of the manor, Major Daniel Peploe-Peploe, M.P., of Garstone castle, and Mrs. Evans, of Moreton court, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil, clay; chief products, wheat, beans, hops, roots, and fruit. King's Pyon is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a vicarage consolidated with that of Birley; joint value, £384, with residence and 19 acres of glebe; patron, Major Daniel Peploe-Peploe, M.P.; vicar, Rev. Hanmer William Webb-Peploe, B.A., Pembroke College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1866. King's Pyon tithes are commuted at £252 yearly, with residence and 6 acres of glebe.

The church, which is in the Gothic style, has been almost entirely rebuilt, but on the old foundations, and with every feature kept (when possible) or renewed (if necessary). It has a square tower containing four bells. A new clock has lately been erected with facing to north and south. The cost of restoration and addition of a new north transept (erected in 1872) was £1,160. The north window has been filled with stained glass to the memory of the late Rev. John Birch Peploe; and the east window to the memory of William and Margaret Cooke, erected in 1872 by their nephew and niece. In the south transept are two mutilated figures to the Carver and Carpenter families. There is an excellent organ and choir. There is a new parochial school, with accommodation for about 100 children; the present average attendance is about 50. King's Pyon House is a handsome residence in the occupation of the vicar (Rev. Hanmer William Webb-Peploe, B.A.) Brook House is the property and residence of Thomas Cooke, Esq.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Weobley R.S.O., and arrive by messenger about 10.30 a.m.; despatched at 3.30 p.m. Weobley is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Letters should be addressed-King's Pyon, Weobley, R.S.O. (Herefordshire.)
Parish Church.- Rev. Hanmer William Webb-Peploe, B.A., Vicar; Messrs. Thomas Oliver and Matthew W. Wilson, Churchwardens; Thomas Maddox, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls).- Mr. Albert Croft, Master; Mrs. Croft, Mistress.
Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Ministers various.
Carrier to Hereford.- Edward Edwards (from Dilwyn) passes through on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Assistant Overseer.- Mr. John Steele.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Cooke Thomas, Esq., Brook house
Webb-Peploe Rev. Hanmer William, B.A. (vicar of King's Pyon with Birley), King's Pyon house
Wilson Matthew W., Esq., New hall
COMMERCIAL.
Arrowsmith John, thatcher, Lidgemoor
Bell James, shopkeeper, the Cottage
Britton Dennis, gardener and shopkeeper, Bush bank
Cooke Thomas, landowner, farmer, and hop grower, Brook house
Croft Albert, schoolmaster
Dennis Thomas, wheelwright
Galliers George Tomkins, farmer and hop grower, Butt house
Galliers Thomas Tomkins, farmer and hop grower, Wistanstone
George Thomas, mason, Lidgemoor
Gough Richard, thatcher, Lidgemoor
Hughes Geo., frmr., New ho., Lidgemoor
Jackman Joseph, head gamekeeper to Major D. Peploe-Peploe, M.P., of Garnstone castle
Maddox Henry, joiner and paperhanger
Maddox Thos., carpenter and parish clerk
Magness John, boot and shoe maker
Moore Newton Frank, farmer and hop grower, The Hill; and Brown's farm, Dilwyn
Moythan Henry, mason and shopkeeper
Oliver Thomas, farmer and hop grower, Hyde field
Oliver William, farmer and hop grower, Wootton
Passey John, mason, The Bogs
Preece Thomas, land steward for Major D. Peploe-Peploe, M.P., J.P., and D.L., Garnstone castle
Reece John, wheelwright, Lidgemoor
Shean Mrs. Eliza, beer rtlr., Bush bank
Steel John, blacksmith, agricultural implement and iron fencing manufacturer; agent for the leading implement makers in England, and assistant overseer for
King's Pyon parish
Symonds William, farmer and hop grower, Meer's place
Thomas George, mason and builder, Bridge house
Timocus John Benjn., farmer, Black hall
Tomkins William, farmer, The Marsh
Walker Thomas, mason, Lidgemoor

Transcription by Marion Wilkinson in August 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/KingsPyon.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library