Kentchurch, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

KENTCHURCH,
WITH PONTRILAS HAMLET.

KENTCHURCH is a large parish and village, situated on the river Monnow, which here divides the counties of Hereford and Monmouth. It is distant 13 miles S.S.W. of Hereford, 14 W. of Ross, 11 N.W. of Monmouth, and about 2 S.E. of Pontrilas station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway (West Midland section). It is in Webtree and Wormelow hundreds, Dore union and petty sessional division, Ewyas Harold polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 325; in 1871, 381; inhabited houses, 67; families or separate occupiers, 89; area of parish, 3,286 acres; annual rateable value, £4,020. Edward Scudamore Lucas, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landed proprietor. The soil is clayey, sandy, and loamy; subsoil, chiefly rock; produce, wheat, barley, beans, oats, and pasture.

Kentchurch is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a rectory; value, £340, with residence and 6 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Chancellor; rector, Rev. William Edward Sellon, B.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1858. The church (St. Mary's) was rebuilt in 1858-59 at a cost of £1,390. It has nave, chancel, tower (containing five bells) with low spire, porch, font, harmonium, and several handsome monuments and tablets. A monument to the Scudamore family occupies a side chapel, and has two full-size reclining figures and nine smaller figures at the base, the whole surmounted by the Scudamore arms. The church underwent some improvements in 1869. The earliest register is dated 1650. There is a national school for boys and girls, endowed by John Bevan, Esq., in 1729, with a house and garden, and the interest of £150. It is under government inspection, and has a certificated mistress, with an average attendance of about 24 children. The school-room has been recently repaired at a cost of £50. The parochial charities amount to about £20 yearly.

Kentchurch Court, the seat of Edward Scudamore Lucas, Esq., J.P., D.L., but at present occupied by Morgan Williams, Esq., is an ancient mansion. In Leland's Itinerary it is called Penchirche, and affirmed to be the seat of the eldest house of the Escuedamours. The park is between 3 and 4 miles in circumference, and contains some fine timber, and is well stocked with deer. Kentchurch is divided from Grosmont, Monmouthshire, by the river Monnow, one of the best trout streams in England. Pontrilas is a hamlet and small village forming part of Kentchurch parish, with a railway station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford railway, about 2 miles N.W. of Kentchurch village, and midway between Hereford and Abergavenny. The proposed "Golden Valley railway" will commence by a junction with the Great Western at Pontrilas station, and will run parallel with the river Dore to Dorstone,. a distance of about 11 miles. The Pontrilas chemical works are carried on by Mr. Rees of Abergavenny. Llanhaithog was formerly an extra-parochial place.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Post office, Kentchurch; John Kennard, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Hereford at 8.55 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Ewyas Harold is the nearest money order office. Pontrilas is the nearest telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
Post and Telegraph office, Pontrilas; Miss Watkins, Sub-Postmistress.. Letters arrive at 8.20 a.m.; despatched at 6.50 p.m. The postal telegraph office is open from 8 a.m. till 8 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Ewyas Harold is the nearest money order office. Pontrilas being what is termed a Railway Sub-office, letters should be addressed - Pontrilas, R.S.O. (Herefordshire.)
Parish Church.- Rev. William Edward Sellon, B.A., Rector; Mr. Thomas Sparks, Churchwarden; Thomas Davis, Parish Clerk.
Kentchurch National School (boys and girls).- Mrs. C.M. Nobbs, Mistress.
Pontrilas School (boys and girls).- Miss Watkins, Mistress.
Pontrilas Railway Station (West Midland Section of Great Western Railway).- Mr. Robert Parry, Station Master.
Pontrilas Agricultural Society.- E. Scudamore Lucas, Esq., J.P., President; Mr. William Kear, Secretary.

KENTCHURCH,
WITH PONTRILAS HAMLET DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Bampfield Mr. Benjamin, New house
Lucas Edward Scudamore, Esq., J.P. (for counties of Hereford, Monmouth, and Radnor), D.L. (for Herefordshire), Kentchurch court
Matthews ___, Esq., Pontrilas house
Sellon Rev. William Edward, B.A. (rector of Kentchurch, and of Llangua, Monmouthshire), The Rectory
Stratford Rev. James (Congregational), Doyer house, Pontrilas
Williams Morgan, Esq., Kentchurch court
Wilson Mr. G.J., Doyer house, Pontrilas
COMMERCIAL.
BAMPFIELD MISS M.M., grocer and provision dealer, drapery and shoe warehouse, near Railway sta., Pontrilas
Cole Edwin, farmer, The Bradleys
Davis Thomas, parish clerk
Harris Richard, Bridge Inn, and farmer
Hobbs John, farmer, The Elms
Holley Mrs. Eliza, farmer, Upper Ridway
Johnstone Thomas, farmer, The Bury
Jones John, turner, &c., Pontrilas
KEAR WILLIAM, timber and bark
merchant, manufacturer of rind hoops,
dry cask hoops, helves, hammer shafts for colliery purposes and workshops, &c.; agent for the Star brewery (Hereford) celebrated ales and porter; stores (and office, near Pontrilas station (see Hereford advertisements page 48)
Kennard Jn., blacksmith and sub-postmr.
Lewis Mrs. Harriet, beer retlr. (Royal Oak)
Lewis Thomas, farmer, Werngrouncill
Morgan Mr., farmer, Home farm
Morgan Thomas, farmer, Pontrilas farm
Munkley William, miller, Grosmont mill
Nobbs Mrs. C.M., schoolmistress
Parry Robert, station master, Pontrilas
Pontrilas Chemical Works, near Pontrilas railway station; Mr. Richard Rees (of Abergavenny), Proprietor; manufacturer of charcoal, acetate of lime, naphtha, pitch, and tar
Powell Lewis, farmer, The Meadows
Pritchard D., farmer, Old kitchen
Richards Mrs. Mary, farmer, Great Corras
Ridgway Robert, farmer, Castle Field farm
Rosser George, farmer, Barton Hill farm
Sayce Edwin, farmer, Brook farm
Sayce Mrs., Pontrilas Inn
Sparks Thomas, farmer, Little Corras
THOMAS GEORGE, coal, coke, lime, and manure merchant, depot at Pontrilas rlwy. sta. (see Hereford advts. p.48)
Tyler Daniel, mason
Watkins James, farmer, Llanhaithog
Watkins Miss, sub-postmistress & schoolmistress, Pontrilas
Williams Edward, farmer, Court-y-grove
WILSON G.J., brick, tile, and drainpipe manufacturer, Doyer house, Pontrilas; and at Hampton Park steam brick and tile works, Hereford (see Hereford advertisements page 13)
Woodhill Thomas, blacksmith, Pontrilas

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Kentchurch.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library