Kenderchurch, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

KENDERCHURCH, or HOWTON, is a small parish and village situated on the river Doyer, and intersected by the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway (West Midland section). It is distant 10½ miles S.W. of Hereford, and about 1 mile N. of Pontrilas railway station. The proposed Golden Valley railway will pass along the border of the parish. It is in Webtree hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Hereford county court district, and Ewyas Harold polling district. The population in 1861 was 99; in 1871, 70; inhabited houses, 14; families or separate occupiers, 17; area of parish, 788a. 2r. 26p.; annual rateable value, £1,036 2s. E. Scudamore Lucas, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, chiefly clay; produce, wheat, beans, roots, &c. Kenderchurch is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a vicarage; value, £62; patron, Robert William Dacre Harley, Esq.; vicar, Rev. Charles John Westropp, B.A., of Caius College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1865, and resides at Wormbridge place. The church of St. Mary was completely restored in 1870, at a cost of £780. It has nave, chancel, porch, font, and small belfry with one bell. The children attend Wormbridge day school.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford. Ewyas Harold is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev: Charles John Westropp, B.A., Vicar; Mr. James Davies, Churchwarden; William Vergo Sexton.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(None listed)
COMMERCIAL.
Davies James, tailor, &c., Howton grove
Edwards Thomas, farmer, Howton court
Edwards Thos., jun., farmer, Howton farm
Jones Thomas, farmer, Howton grove
Morgan James, carpenter and cottage farmer, New Invention

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in May 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Kenderchurch.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library