Humber, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

HUMBER,
WITH PART OF RISBURY TOWNSHIP.

HUMBER is a parish situated on the south side of the main road between Leominster and Bromyard, distant 3½ miles S.E. of Leominster, 9 W. of Bromyard, and 13 N.N.E. of Hereford; is in Wolphy hundred, Leominster union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Docklow polling district. The population in 1861 was 251; in 1871, 264; inhabited houses, 56; families or separate occupiers, 57; area of parish, 2,500 acres; annual rateable value, £1,632. Captain Edward Nicholas Heygate, R.E., who is lord of the manor, and John Hungerford Arkwright, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey, producing wheat, beans, fruit, and hops. Humber is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Leominster; living, a rectory; value, £340, including 140 acres of glebe; patron, J.H. Arkwright, Esq.; rector, Rev. Philip John Scudamore-Stanhope, M.A., of Magdalen College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1869. An excellent rectory house has been recently erected. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small stone edifice, with tower, porch, nave, chancel, and about 130 sittings. A new school with class-room and teacher's residence was erected in 1874-75 at Risbury, at a cost of £500. It is built to accommodate about 60 children, in accordance with the requirements of the "Elementary Education Act". Mr. J. Cox, of Leominster, was the builder. Risbury is a township partly in this parish and partly in that of Stoke Prior. Risbury Camp comprises an area of 8 acres; it is now annexed to the farm of Mr. Henry C. Lambert. It is one of the line of British encampments which commenced at the Malvern hills.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Leominster. The letter-box at Steen's bridge is cleared at 4.10 p.m. on week-days only. Leominster is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. Philip John Scudamore-Stanhope, M.A., Rector; Messrs. Samuel Jones and Robert Bemand, Churchwardens; William Lippett, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls), Risbury.- Mr. W.H. Dickens, Master; Miss Charlotte Dickens, Mistress.

HUMBER,
WITH PART OF RISBURY TOWNSHIP DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Scudamore-Stanhope Rev. Philip John, M.A., J.P. (rector of Humber, and chaplain to 6th Herefordshire [Leominster] rifle volunteer corps), The Rectory
Jones Mrs. Mary, White ho., Steen's br.
Lambert Mr. William, Risbury court
COMMERCIAL.
Bemand Robert, farmer, New house; and Upper house farm, Stoke Prior
Bowcott George, boot and shoe maker
Burden George, farmer, Little Priddleton
Dickens W.H., master of National school
Evans William, Hop Pole Inn, and steam thrashing, sawing, and cider machine proprietor, Risbury
Green Thomas, cottage farmer, Low brook
Griffiths Edward, farmer and castrator, Little Maidenhead, Risbury
Grosvenor William Charles, farmer and hop grower, Lower Priddleton
Jackson George, farmer and hop grower, Upper Priddleton
Jenks John, boot & shoe maker, Risbury
Jones Samuel, farmer and hop grower, Humber Court farm
Lambert Henry Caswell, miller & farmer, Risbury Court farm and mill
Lane Ephraim, farmer, Glebe farm; res., Broadstone, Stoke Prior
Lippett Wm., parish clerk and shoemaker
Morgan George, farmer, Butt Oak gate
Vale Mark, farmer, New house, Risbury
Wadley Wm., tailor & shopkpr., Risbury

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in April 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Humber.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library