Hatfield, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

HATFIELD,
(with NEWHAMPTON)

HATFIELD is a parish and village situated about 1 mile N. of the main road between Leominster and Bromyard, distant 6¾ miles E. of Leominster, 6 W.N.W. of Bromyard, 7 S. of Tenbury, and 17 N. by E. of Hereford. It is in Wolphy hundred, Docklow polling district, Leominster union, county court district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 180; in 1871, 162; inhabited houses, 34; families or separate occupiers, 36; area of parish, 1,528 acres; annual rateable value, £1,556. Sir Joseph Russell Bailey, Bart., M.P., and Howarth Ashton, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey, producing wheat, beans, peas, hops, and fruit. Hatfield is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Leominster; living, a vicarage; value, £92; patron, the Lord Chancellor; vicar, Rev. James Rivington Ward, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1874, and resides at Pudleston rectory. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is an ancient stone edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, porch, font, several monuments, wooden belfry, and two bells. The chancel is in the style of the 13th century. There is a national school for boys and girls, erected by the late Thomas Ashton, Esq. The number of children on the books is 67; average attendance, 37. There are charities belonging to the church of 15s. yearly value. Hatfield Court, the residence of Howarth Ashton, Esq., and Mrs. T. Ashton, is a modern villa; the view from the hill on which it stands is one of the most beauti- ful and extensive in the county. The Old court is a picturesque house in the Elizabethan style; it is in ruins, and covered with ivy.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Leominster at 10.30 a.m. Leominster, Bromyard, and Tenbury are the nearest money order and telegraph offices. Post town, Leominster.
Parish Church (St. Leonard's).- Rev. James Rivington Ward, M.A., Vicar; Mr. ___, Churchwarden..
National School (boys and girls).- Miss Mary Patience Jones, Mistress.
Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Ministers various.

NEWHAMPTON, formerly extra-parochial, has become a parish for the purposes of the Act of 20 Vict., c.19. It adjoins Hatfield parish, and is distant about 6½ miles E. of Leominster, being near the main road between that town and Bromyard; is in Wolphy hundred, Leominster union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Docklow polling district. The population in 1861 was 8; in 1871,10; inhabited houses, 2; area of parish, 144 acres; annual rateable value, £164. Mr. Richard Woodhouse, jun., is the owner and occupier of the parish.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Leominster, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
RESIDENT.- Woodhouse Richard, jun., farmer.

HATFIELD,
(with NEWHAMPTON) DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Ashton Howarth, Esq., Hatfield court
Ashton Mrs. Thomas, Hatfield court
Gillespie Mr. James, The Rock
COMMERCIAL.
Bevan Thomas, farmer and hop grower New house
Bright James, farmer, Upper Nicholson
Jones Miss Mary Patience, schoolmistress
Jones Thomas, farmer and hop grower, Hatfield Court farm
Nutt George, farmer, Billfield
Oliver Francis, blacksmith
Owen John, farmer, Bank farm
Owen John, jun., farmer and hop grower, Dunhampton farm
Powles Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer, Lower Nicholson
Shepherd Mrs. Susan, shopkeeper and shoemaker
Sledge Francis, farm steward for Howarth Ashton, Esq., Hatfield court
Tedstone Wm., frmr. & hop gr., Common

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in April 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Hatfield.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library