Harewood, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

HAREWOOD (anciently Harewde) is a small parish situated between the two main roads from Ross to Hereford, and within a mile of the river Wye. It is distant 5½ miles N.W. of Ross, 9 S. of Hereford, and 3½ S.W. of Fawley station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester branch of the Great Western railway. It is in Wormelow hundred (upper division), Ross union and county court district, Much Birch polling district, Monmouth tax surveyor's district, and is the head of a petty sessional division. The justices for Harewood End division meet at the Police station every alternate Tuesday. The population in 1861 was 101; in 1871, 113; inhabited houses, 21; families or separate occupiers, 21; area of parish, 590 acres; annual rateable value, £1,227. Chandos Wren Hoskyns, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and rock; chief produce, wheat, barley, roots, &c.

This place was anciently a Preceptory of the Knights Templars; afterwards of the Knights Hospitallers of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, from whose possession it descended, with all ecclesiastical rights and privileges. The church is adjacent to, and forms the chapel of, Harewood mansion. It was rebuilt in 1863-64 by Chandos Wren Hoskyns, Esq., and is a beautiful fabric in the Early English style. Stained glass for three lancet windows was presented by Mrs. Hardman Phillips in 1869. The living is a donative peculiar in the gift of C. Wren Hoskyns, Esq.; chaplain, Rev. Henry Lloyd Oswell, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, who was appointed in 1872, and is also rector of Llandinabo. There is no school in the parish. Harewood House is the ancient residence of the Hoskyns family, and now the seat of Chandos Wren Hoskyns, Esq., who was called to the bar at the Inner Temple in 1838, and was M.P. for the city of Hereford from 1870 to 1873, and is a J.P. and D.L. for Herefordshire and Warwickshire.

The mansion is a plain structure, but was much improved and partly rebuilt by its late owner (Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, Bart.) The park is well wooded, and contains some very fine timber. This estate was formerly a royal demesne, belonging to the Dukes of Kent. It composes part of the ancient forest of Harewood, where, it is supposed, Earl Ethelwold was assassinated by King Edgar, for his deceitful conduct with respect to the fair Elfrida. Ethelwold had a castle here, which is the scene of the dramatic poem "Elfrida", by Mason. A picturesque mound, near the wood of Elvastone (Elfrida's town), known as "Petty Haute". still marks the spot of the local tradition. The village of Harewood End is partly in the parish of Pencoyd.

MAGISTRATES ACTING FOR THE HAREWOOD END DIVISION.- (The justices meet at the Police station every alternate Tuesday.) Colonel Thomas Powell Symonds, Pengethley; Rev. William Poole, M.A., Hentland Vicarage; Rev. Walter Baskerville Mynors, B.A., Llanwarne Rectory; Chandos Wren Hoskyns, Esq., Harewood House; Edmund Jones, Esq., M.D., Mount Craig; Sir Edward Cludde Cockburn, Bart., Pennoxtone Court, King's Caple; Rev. Daniel Capper; , John Jones, Esq., Langstone Court; James Rankin, Esq., Bryngwyn; Major George Griffin Tyler, Callow Hill, Welsh Newton, Monmouth. Clerk to the Justices, Henry Minett, Esq., Ross. The following Parishes and Places are comprised in the Petty Sessional Division:-Ballingham, Birch (Little), Birch (Much), Bolstone, Dewchurch (Little), Dewchurch (Much), Dewsall, Ganarew, Garway, Harewood, Hentland, King's Caple, Llandinabo, Llangarren, Llanwarne, Llanrothall, Marstow, Orcop, Pencoyd, Peterstow, St. Weonard's, Sellack, Tretire with Michaelchurch, Welsh Newton, and Whitchurch.
COMMISSIONERS OF TAXES FOR HAREWOOD END DIVISION.- Rev. William Poole; Colonel Thomas Powell Symonds; Chandos Wren Hoskyns, Esq.; Rev. Walter Baskerville Mynors; Sir Edward Cludde Cockburn, Bart.; Samuel Ralph Lockey, Esq. Clerk to the Commissioners, Henry Minett, Esq., Ross; Surveyor, J.N. Moore, Esq., Monmouth.
POSTAL REGULATIONS.- William Scrivens, Sub-Postmaster, Harewood end. Letters arrive by messenger from Ross at 7.40 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.55 p.m. [The mail-cart from Hereford to Ross passes through at 4.5 p.m., returning the following morning at 5 o'clock.] Money orders are granted and paid and post office savings bank business transacted at this office. Ross is the nearest telegraph office and post town.
Harewood Church.- Rev. Henry Lloyd Oswell, M.A., Chaplain.
Police Station, Harewood end.- Mr. George Smith (of Ross), Superintendent for Ross and Harewood End Divisions; Thomas Price, Resident Sergeant
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Hoskyns Chandos Wren, Esq., B.A.(Oxon), J.P. and D.L. (for Herefordshire. and Warwickshire), Harewood ho.; and Oxford and. Cambridge club, London, S.W.
Oswell Rev. Henry Lloyd, M.A. (rector of Llandinabo and chaplain of Harewood), Belle Vue (in Pencoyd parish)
COMMERCIAL.
Collins Saml., Harewood End Inn, & frmr.
Cooke Richard, farmer, Elvastone
Moseley Miss M.E., shopkeeper, Harewood end (in Pencoyd parish)
Moxley George, farmer, Lasket farm
Paine Isaac Albert, farmer, Woodland farm
Price Thos., police sergt., Harewood end
Pritchard James, farmer, The Grange
Scrivens William, assistant overseer for Harewood, Pencoyd, and Michaelchurch-with-Tretire, and sub-postmaster, Harewood end (in Pencoyd parish)

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in April 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Harewood.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library