Hampton Bishop, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

HAMPTON BISHOP is a parish situated on the road between Hereford and Mordiford, distant 3½ miles E.S.E. of Hereford, 10 W. of Ledbury, and 14 S.W. of Bromyard; is in Grimsworth hundred, Hereford union, county court district; polling district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 245; in 1871, 230; inhabited houses, 55; families or separate occupiers, 63; area of parish, 1,261 acres; annual rateable value, £2,923. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor and chief landowners. Mrs. Weare, Mrs. Bonnor, and Messrs. Gibbons are also landowners here. The soil is a rich loam; subsoil, gravel; about two-thirds of the parish is pasture land; the remainder growing wheat, barley, roots, &c. The river Wye forms the southern boundary of the parish; the walk from Hereford to Hampton church by the river-side will be found to be most lovely and picturesque. Hampton Bishop is in the diocese, archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford; living, a rectory; value, £275, with residence and 4 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; rector, Rev. Henry James William Stillingfleet, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1868.

The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone building in the Norman style of architecture, with substantial square tower containing five bells. It has nave, chancel, north aisle, a good-toned organ, and a monument to the memory of Colonel Weare, Aide-de-camp to the Queen. The fabric was restored in 1866, at the expense of the late rector (Rev Henry Huntingford), the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and other landowners. The parish registers commence with the year 1670. The churchyard is kept in excellent order, being ornamented with a variety of shrubs and evergreens, which give it a very pretty and pleasing appearance. There is no school at Hampton Bishop; the children attend Tupsley and Mordiford. There are a few small charities belonging to the parish. A house called "The Lawns", situate near the church, is at present unoccupied. Tupsley, formerly a township in Hampton Bishop, is now a separate parish. It is distant 2½ miles N.W. of Hampton church, and about 1 mile E. of the city of Hereford, of which it forms a pleasant suburb, and under which head the Directory will be found.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- David Wigley, jun., Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford at 8.15 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.10 p.m. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Andrew's).- Rev. Henry James William Stillingfleet, M.A., Rector; Mr. Thomas Goodwin, Churchwarden; Thomas Sissons Parish Clerk.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Armitage William S., Esq., The Field
Bonner Mrs., Whitehall
Gibbons Mr. Henry, Lower house
Gibbons Mr. William, The Elms
Stillingfleet Rev. Henry James William, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Weare Mrs., Hampton house
COMMERCIAL.
Armitage William Sugden, farmer, The Field farm and Litley farm
Bailey Thomas, farmer, Lower house farm; res., Hagley, Lugwardine
Bonnor Mrs. William, farmer and landowner, Whitehall farm
Edwards Paul, shopkeeper
Goodwin Thomas, farmer, Court farm
Gurney James, blacksmith
Lane Mrs. Mary, laundress
Perkins Mrs., cottage farmer
Pitt Thomas, farmer
Price Charles, wheelwright and carpenter
Probert Henry, cottage farmer
Salisbury Edward, jobbing gardener
Sissons Thomas, parish clerk
Watkins James, Bunch of Carrots Inn, and farmer
Wigley David, basket and sieve maker
Wigley David, jun., basket maker and sub-postmaster, Post office

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in April 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/HamptonBishop.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library