Grendon Warren, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

GRENDON WARREN was formerly an extra-parochial place, but is now a parish for the purposes of the Act of 20 Vict., c.19. It lies between the parishes of Grendon Bishop and Pencombe, about 4 miles W. of Bromyard, 9 E.S.E. of Leominster, and 13 N.E. of Hereford; is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, county court district, and petty sessional division, and Bodenham polling district. The population in 1861 was 33; in 1871, 28; inhabited houses, 4; families or separate occupiers, 4; area of parish, 630 acres; annual rateable value, £625. The parish is divided into two farms; soil, clayey; chief crops, wheat, beans, hops, and fruit. There are still to be seen in Mr. Dyke's farmyard some interesting ruins of a chapel, now used as a stable.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Worcester via Bromyard, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
COMMERCIAL.
Dyke John, farmer and hop grower, Grendon Warren farm; res., Broadfield lodge, Bodenham
Nicholas John, sen., farmer and hop gr.

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in April 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/GrendonWarren.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library