Grendon Bishop, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

GRENDON BISHOP is a parish situated on the south side of the main road between Leominster and Bromyard, distant 4 miles W. of the latter town, 8 E.S.E. of Leominster, 9 S. of Tenbury, and 14 N.E. of Hereford; is in Broxash hundred, Docklow polling district, Bromyard union, county court district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 199; in 1871, 198; inhabited houses, 36; families or separate occupiers, 38; area of parish, 1,629 acres; annual rateable value, £1,674 10s. Evan Pateshall, Esq., M.P., of Allensmore court, who is lord of the manor, W. Henry Barneby, Esq., of Bredenbury court, Rev. R.M. Wood, G.H. Lee, Esq.; and the Dean and Chapter of Westminster, are the landowners. The soil is clay with a subsoil of rock; chief crops, wheat, hops, beans, and fruit. Grendon Bishop is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; living, a vicarage; value, £90; patron, the Vicar of Bromyard; vicar, Rev. Robert Bentley, B.A., of Bishop Hatfield Hall, Durham, who was instituted in 1874, and resides at Bromyard. There is no vicarage house in the parish. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a stone building with nave, chancel, porch, tower, two bells, font, and a few monuments. It was rebuilt in 1788, the old edifice having fallen down two years previously. In 1869-70 the church was enlarged and improved from designs by F.R. Kempson, Esq., F.I.B.A., of Hereford. The earliest register is dated 1612. There is a board school at Bredenbury for the parishes of Grendon Bishop, Breden bury, and Wacton. Brockington farm is at present void.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Worcester via Bromyard, and arrive from the latter place by messenger. There is no delivery on Sundays. Bromyard is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester. [Letters for Westington court are received through Leominster.]
Parish Church (St. John the Baptist).- Rev. Robert Bentley, B.A., Vicar; Mr. Robert Martin, Churchwarden; Thomas Tomkins, Parish Clerk.
Grendon Bishop, Bredenbury, and Macton United School Board.- (The election of members took place July 20th, 1874.) William Henry Barneby, Esq., J.P. (Chairman), Mr. Edward Timings (Vice-Chairman), Rev. Charles Bridges, Mr. Tracey Lane, and Mr. Thomas Minifie. Clerk and Treasurer Henry Nicholls Knott Esq. solicitor. Bromyard.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Bridges Rev., Charles, M.A. (rector of Bredenbury), Grendon grange
COMMERCIAL.
Carter Thos., shopkeeper, Grendon green
Child Thomas, blacksmith & shopkeeper
Jordan Thomas, machinist
Martin Robert, farm bailiff for Rev. R.M. Wood, Grendon farm
Minifie Thomas, frmr. & hop gr., Newbury
Nicholas John, farmer and hop grower, Blatchley
Orgee Thomas, farmer, Horsnett
Stedman James, farmer and hop grower, Westington court
Taylor William, shopkeeper
Tomkins Richard, carpenter
Watkins James, blacksmith and shopkeeper, The Three gates

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in April 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/GrendonBishop.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library