Ganarew, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

GANAREW is a small parish and village delightfully situated at the base of Doward hill, on the borders of Monmouthshire. The parish contains several handsome residences, and the main road between Ross and Monmouth runs through it. It is distant 3 miles N.E. of Monmouth, 8 S.W. of Ross, and 18 S. of Hereford; in Wormelow hundred, Monmouth union and county court district, Whitchurch polling district, and Harewood End petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 116; in 1871, 181; inhabited houses, 36; families or separate occupiers, 36; area of parish, 835 acres; annual rateable value, £1,082. Mrs. Marriott, who is lady of the manor, James Murray Bannerman, Esq., William Brown, Esq., and Miss Griffin (of Newton court), are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, chiefly rock; produce, wheat, barley, roots, &c.

Ganarew is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a rectory; value, £102, with 15 acres of glebe; patroness, Mrs. Marriott; rector, Rev. Thomas Laugley, B.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1853. The church, dedicated to St. Swithin, is a small but handsome structure, with tower containing two bells. It was rebuilt in 1850 at the sole expense of Mrs. Marriott, and has nave, chancel, porch, font, organ, and about 120 sittings, 40 of which are free. The earliest register is dated 1589. There is a parochial school for boys and girls supported by subscription; it has about 25 scholars. Sellarsbrooke is the seat of Mrs. Marriott. Wyastone Leys, the seat of James Murray Bannerman, Esq., stands in a deer park, and commands a splendid view of the river Wye. There is a private chapel in the grounds. Near the mansion is a school supported by Miss Bannerman.

Doward House, the property of J. Murray Bannerman, Esq., and at present occupied by Captain C. Wilkinson, is beautifully situated on an acclivity at the foot of Doward hill. On the summit of Doward hill is a curious observatory, erected upon a rock, and constructed of iron trestlework of an open pattern, with a winding staircase inside. The tower is 70 feet in height, and from the top are to be obtained views of several surrounding counties. It was built by the late Richard Blakemore, Esq. There are some fine caves in the parish, with very rich collections of antediluvian remains. There have been found bones and teeth of the rhinoceros, hyena, cave bear, mammoth, cave lion, and Irish elk - discovered within the last five years. The top of Little Doward hill is the site of an ancient British encampment, and spear heads and many coins have been found of the time of Victorinus. This parish adjoins that of Dixton Newton, in the county of Monmouth. Crocker's Ash is a hamlet distant half a mile from the church.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Monmouth about 8 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5 p.m. Whitchurch is the nearest money order office. Monmouth is the telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Swithin's).- Rev, Thomas Langley, B.A., Rector; Mr. William Brown, Churchwarden; John Evans, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls).- Miss Ann Emma Lewis, Mistress.
Wyastone Leys School (boys and girls).- Miss C. Wilks, Mistress.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Bannerman James Murray, Esq., Wyastone Leys
Brown William, Esq., Lewstone
Bunbury Mr., Doward cottage
Langley Rev. Thomas, B.A. (rector), Ganarew house
Marriott Mrs. C., Sellarsbrooke
Wilkinson Captain C., Doward house
Wilson Mr. Ernest William, Ganarew farm
COMMERCIAL.
Brown William, farmer and haulier, Little Kiln house
Evans John, parish clerk
Lewis Miss Ann Emma, schoolmistress
Robertson Samuel,farmer, and steward for J.M. Bannerman, Esq., Doward farm
Webb Geo. and Heny., carpenters, wheelwrights, & blacksmiths, Crocker's Ash
Wilks Miss C., mistress of Wyastone Leys school
Wilson Ernest Wm., frmr., Ganarew farm

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in April 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Ganarew.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library