Foy, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

FOY,
WITH EATON TREGOES TOWNSHIP.

FOY, otherwise FOYE, is a parish intersected by the winding course of the river Wye, which renders the scenery very picturesque in this locality. It is distant nearly 4 miles N. of Ross, 11 S.E. of Hereford, and 2½ S.E. of Fawley station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester branch of the Great Western railway; is in Wormelow hundred (upper division), Ross union, polling district, county court district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 318; in 1871, 326; inhabited houses, 56; families or separate occupiers, 67; area of parish, 2,322 acres; annual rateable value, £4,077. The Right Hon. Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor, and, with George Clive, Esq., M.P., owns greater part of the land. The soil is a rich loam on a red sandstone formation, producing wheat, barley, roots, and pasture. Foy is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a vicarage, with rectorial tithes annexed value commuted at £576 5s., with residence and 52 acres of glebe; patrons, the trustees of the Rev. John Jones (the late incumbent); vicar, Rev. Charles Turner Wilton, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1862. The church, situated on a peninsula formed by a sweep of the Wye, is a substantial stone edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, stone porch, and lofty square tower covered with ivy, containing six bells. It is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and is in the Early-English and Decorated styles of architecture. It was restored in 1863 at a cost of £320, when it was reseated and an organ presented. The handsome roof, of dark oak, rests upon a bold timber cornice, battlemented. Decorated timber rood screens are now rarely met with, and here is one almost perfect, and of a beautiful design. It carries an enriched cornice, and over the doorway on the altar side is a well-executed carving of the Lamb, with cross. The chancel has an eastern window of stained glass, and the walls and floor are crowded with stone and marble records of the former owners of the soil. In September 1874 silver-gilt paten and chalice, altar cross, and candlesticks were presented to this church. The parish reisters commence with the year 1570. A new school, erected at a cost of £552, was opened in September 1873. It provides accommodation for about 60 children, and is supported by subscription. The parochial charities amount to £4 6s. 4d. yearly. Ingestone House was an old and spacious brick mansion, long the residence of the Abrahall family, and recorded as the place where Sergeant Hoskyns entertained James I., by causing the morrice dance to be exhibited before him by ten old people, natives of Herefordshire, whose collective ages amounted to more than 1,000 years. In this neighbourhood the Wye meanders in a very singular manner, altering its course into completely opposite directions within a very few miles. On the banks of the river, nearly opposite to Ingestone, at a place called "Hole-in-the-Wall", are the remains of some ancient building, consisting of the foundations of some well-built walls, with huge stones lying about: the site is now partly occupied by many cottages. On the summit of Eaton hill are vestiges of an ancient camp. The entrenchments are very perfect and deep; the area is cultivated and intersected with hedges. A farmhouse at Eaton displays vestiges of an ancient mansion; the ground about it is called "the Park of Eaton". Perrystone House, the seat of George Clive, Esq., M.P. for the city of Hereford, is pleasantly situated in this parish. Mr. Clive is the chairman of Herefordshire quarter sessions, and was under secretary to the Home Department from 1859 to 1862. Eaton Tregoes is a township of Foy.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Ross at 7.30 a.m. and 4.40 p.m. The wall letter-box is cleared at 7.45 a.m. and 4.45 p.m. on week days only. Hoarwithy is the nearest money order office. Ross is the telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church.- Rev. Charles Turner Wilton, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. J. Bennett and C. Stock, Churchwardens; Samuel Phillips, Sexton.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. George Thomas Bright, Master; Mrs. Mary Phillips, Sewing Mistress.

FOY,
WITH EATON TREGOES TOWNSHIP DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Clive George, Esq., M.P. (for the city of Hereford), J.P. and D.L. (for the county of Hereford and chairman of quarter sessions), J.P. (for county Mayo), Perrystone house, near Ross; 13 Mansfield street, Portland place, London, W.; & Reform and Travellers clubs, S.W.; and Ballycroy, county Mayo
Corser Francis, Esq., Carthage
Wilton Rev. Charles Turner, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
COMMERCIAL.
Bennett James, farmer, Ingestone
Bennett John, farmer, Park farm
Bright George Thomas, schoolmaster
Hart John, frmr., Coles frm., & Strangford
Jones William, farmer, Hill of Eaton
Morgan Edward, Old Gore Inn
Phillips Samuel, parish sexton
Steele Thos., shopkpr., Hole-in-the-Wall
Stock Chas., frmr., Underhill & Carthage
Tooby Albert, farmer, Court farm

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in April 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Foy.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library