Felton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

FELTON is a parish situated about half a mile south of the main road between Leominster and Ledbury, distant 7½ miles N.E. of Hereford, 8 S.W. of Bromyard, 9½ S.E. of Leominster, and 12 N.W. of Ledbury; is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, county court district, and petty sessional division, and Ocle Pitchard (Burley gate) polling district. The population in 1861 was 149; in 1871, 127; inhabited houses, 23; families or separate occupiers, 23; area of parish, 1,699 acres; annual rateable value, £2,160. Daniel and Samuel Wood, Esqs., of Glossop, Derbyshire, are lords of the manor, and, with John Hungerford Arkwright, Esq., Henry Pitt, Esq., and Mr. William Harris, are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey and very fertile; chief produce, wheat, beans, hops, fruit, and roots.

Felton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome. The living (under the District Church Tithes Act, 1865, 28 Vict., cap. 42) has been constituted a rectory, and gazetted as such on the 20th November 1866; the value is £194, with residence, 92 acres of glebe, and an augmentation farm of 37 acres, producing £56 yearly; patrons, the Messrs. Wood; rector, Rev. Henry Thomas Hill, M.A. (of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge), who was instituted in 1851, and is also vicar of the adjoining parish of Preston Wynne, and a prebendary of Hereford, and a rural dean. The church, dedicated to St. Michael and All Angels, is a handsome edifice in the Decorated style of architecture. It was entirely rebuilt in 1853-54, from the designs of T. Nicholson, Esq., F.I.B.A., of Hereford, at a cost (including outlay on bells) of about £1,280. It is built of the excellent stone of the neighbourhood, with Bath-stone dressings, and has a tower containing five bells.

The interior consists of nave, chancel (rebuilt by the rector), porch, vestry, a handsome font and pulpit of carved stone, sedilia, a stained western window, with five other windows, and an east window, lectern, &c., given by the rector and members of his family. The nave and chancel are paved with encaustic tiles; and the open seats of stained pine in the body of the church, and the roof, are much admired. The earliest register is dated 1650. There is a school at Preston Wynne, built by the Rev. H.T. Hill at a cost of about £320, to accommodate the children of that parish and Felton. Some of the children go to Burley Gate and Ullingswick schools.

In the early part of July 1872, Felton was visited by one of the most remarkable thunderstorms and hurricanes of wind, that has ever happened within the memory of the oldest inhabitant of that parish. Some owners of houses and land suffered considerable loss; trees of enormous height and girth were uprooted and hurled in all directions, others were twisted round and torn off from the centre, and large branches were carried away into adjoining fields. Some of the houses were unroofed, others were partially blown down, whilst in several labourers' cottages the windows were blown out, the inmates having, however, fortunately in every case escaped unhurt, not a single accident having occurred to endanger the life of any person. The tornado seems to have confined itself to a very limited area; the centre of the parish of Felton and a part of Bodenham having received solely the effects of this remarkable storm.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Worcester via Bromyard, and arrive from the latter place about 11.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 2.30 p.m. Hereford and Bromyard are the nearest money order and telegraph offices. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Michael and All Angels').- Rev. Henry Thomas Hill, M.A., Rector; Mr. William R. George, Churchwarden; John Jauncey, Parish Clerk.
Carrier to Hereford.- William Cross passes through on Wednesdays and Saturdays; stops at the Hop Pole Inn, Commercial road, Hereford.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Hill Rev. Henry Thomas, M.A. (rector of Felton; vicar of Preston Wynne; prebendary of Nonnington in Hereford cathedral; rural dean of N. Froome), The Rectory
COMMERCIAL.
George Wm. R., farmer and hop grower, The Farm
Harper John, farmer and hop grower, Rosemaund
Harris William, farmer and landowner, Stone farm
Hill John, farmer, The Green
Jauncey John, parish clerk & shoemaker
Leake Henry, farmer & hop gr., Hinton
Sirrell Stephen, blacksmith
Taylor William, farmer and hop grower, Lower Hope; res., Showle ct., Ledbury

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in April 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Felton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library