Eyton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001

EYTON is a small village and parish situated on the river Lugg, about 2 miles N.W. of Leominster, 10 S.S.W. of Ludlow, 11 E.N.E. of Kington, and 15 N. of Hereford; is in Wolphy hundred, Leominster union, county court district, polling district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 155 in 1871, 174; inhabited houses, 30; families or separate occupiers, 32 area of parish, 937 acres; annual rateable value, £1,912. The Rev. William Trevelyan Kevill Davies, of Croft castle, is lord of the manor; and Richard Weaver Evans, Esq., of Eyton hall, Captain E. Salwey, of Brimfield hall, and Joseph Coates, Esq., are the principal landowners. There is fine feeding land in the Lugg-side meadows; and grain, roots, green crops, and a few hops are grown. It was in this parish a party of Royalists assembled under Sir William Croft, with the intention of recovering Leominster from Oliverians, but were defeated by Colonel Birch. Contiguous to this parish is an obscure place called "The Croes", which in the time of the Britons consisted of a deep forest and impassable marshes.

Eyton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Leominster; living, a vicarage; gross value, £113; patrons, the Governors of Lucton school; vicar, Rev. James Joseph Haydn Elouis, who was instituted in 1875. There is no parsonage house. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was originally Norman, but was rebuilt in the 14th century. It was restored in 1853 at a cost of £350. It has nave, chancel, oak roof, with gable belfry, and south porch, a very perfect and handsome carved screen, and a good east memorial window of painted glass to the late Edward Evans, Esq. The parish registers commence with the year 1774. There is a national school for boys and girls, erected in 1862 by R. Weaver Evans, Esq., and is supported by the parishioners. It is under Government inspection, and has an average attendance of about 30. Eyton Hall, the seat of Richard Weaver Evans, Esq., J.P., is pleasantly situated, and commands a fine view over the vale of Leominster to the hills of Radnorshire and Breconshire.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- James Falconer, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Leominster about 8.30 a.m. Leominster is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (All Saints').- Rev. James Joseph Haydn Elouis, Vicar; Mr. Henry Coates, Churchwarden; Thomas Longville, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Miss A. Bailey, Mistress
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Coates Joseph, Esq,, Eyton
Elouis Rev. James Joseph Haydn (vicar)
Evans Richard Weaver, Esq., J.P. Eyton hall
COMMERCIAL.
Coates Joseph, landowner, farmer, and hop grower, Eyton house
Corbett Mrs. Arm, cottage farmer; res. Lydiate cottage, Luston
Falconer James, sub-postmaster and tailor
Gregg Mrs., farmer; res., Marsh broad
Harris George, miller, Croward's mill
Hill Mrs., farmer, The Common
Ingram Thomas, grazier; res., Leominster
James Luke, cottage farmer
Lawrence Joseph, farmer, Eyton court
Lewis William, farmer and grazier, Scatterbrain farm
Millichant ____, cottage farmer
Nott Thomas, farm bailiff for Richard Weaver Evans, Esq. J.P., The Barns
Proudman Mrs. Hannah, frmr., The Farm
Weaver Thomas, wood dealer, hurdle maker, and lath render
Wyatt John, farmer, Coxall cottage

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in September 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Eyton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library