Edvin Ralph, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Marion B. Wilkinson, © Copyright 2001

EDVIN RALPH,
WITH BUTTERLEY HAMLET.

EDVIN RALPH, or EDWIN RALPH, is a parish delightfully situated on an eminence on the Bromyard and Tenbury road, distant 2 miles N. of the former town and 9 S.E. of the latter, 16 N.E. of Hereford, and 16 W. of Worcester; is in Wolphy hundred, Bromyard union, county court district, polling district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 165; in 1871, 155; inhabited houses, 29; families or separate occupiers, 30; area of parish, 1,568a. 2r. 9p.; annual rateable value, £1,804 11s. 9d.; gross estimated rental, £1,981 10s. William Lacon Childe, Esq., of Saltmarshe castle, is also a landowner here. The soil is stiff clay, producing wheat, beans, barley, hops, and fruit. A railway is now in course of construction between Bromyard and Worcester, 2 miles off, and is expected to be completed early in the year 1877. Edvin Ralph is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; living, a rectory annexed to Collington; joint value, £407, with residence and 59 acres of glebe; patron, William Lacon Childe, Esq.; rector, Rev. Arthur Childe, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1847. The living of Edvin Ralph is commuted at £260 5s., and there are 19 acres of glebe attached to the living. The church of St. Mary was partly restored in 1862 at a cost of £500. It is a very ancient structure, chiefly in the Norman style of architecture, and consists of chancel, aisle, transept, porch, modern font, some old monuments, and square tower containing two bells. The charities belonging to the parish amount to about £6 yearly. There is no school in the parish; The children attend the district school at Thornbury. The Rectory House commands some beautiful views of the surrounding country. Butterley, a hamlet containing about 600 acres, lies about 1½ miles W. of the church.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Worcester via Bromyard, and arrive by messenger from the latter place at 8.45 a.m.; despatched thereto at 2.30 p.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Bromyard is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. Arthur Childe, M.A., Rector; Messrs. William Perry and John Perry, Churchwardens; John Calder, Parish Clerk.

EDVIN RALPH,
WITH BUTTERLEY HAMLET DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Childe Rev. Arthur, M.A., J.P. (rector of Edvin Ralph with Collington), The Rectory
Perry Mr. William, The Hollings
COMMERCIAL.
Benbow Miss Elizabeth, farmer and overseer, The Crosse
Benbow Mrs. Mary Ann, farmer and hop grower, Park farm
Bryan Charles, cottage farmer, and butler to Lady Shakerley, Pike villa
Calder John, parish clerk
Candy Richard, farmer and hop grower, Brick house
Cooke William, farmer and hop grower, Lower Butterley
James John, farmer and hop grower, The Pound and Townsend farms; and at Turkey
Hall farm, Winslow; res., Bromyard
Jones Thomas, farmer, New house
Maund John, beer retailer, shopkeeper, and cottage farmer, Wood house
Moore James, miller, Butterley mill
Moseley Henry, farmer and hop grower, Butterley court
Parker Edward, carpenter and sawyer, The Green
Perry John, farmer & hop grower, Upper house
Perry Timothy Charles, farmer, The Hollings
Powell William, farmer, Black Venn farm
Smith William, stonemason
Tombs Thomas, farmer and hop grower, Lower Horton

Transcription by Marion Wilkinson in September 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/EdvinRalph.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library