Eaton Bishop, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Marion B. Wilkinson, © Copyright 2001

EATON BISHOP is a parish situated on both banks of the river Wye, about 5 miles W. of Hereford, 10 S., of Weobley, and 16 N.W. of Ross; in Webtree hundred, Hereford union, county court district, and petty sessional division, and Madley polling district. The population in 1861 was 465; in 1871, 470; inhabited houses, 96; families or separate occupiers, 125; area of parish, 2,112 acres; annual rateable value, £4,520. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and Major Richard Snead Cox and James Taylor Ingham, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, red sandstone; chief produce, wheat, beans, barley, and roots. Eaton Bishop is in the diocese, archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford; living, a rectory; value, £485, with residence and 35 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; rector, Rev. William Robert Lawrence, M.A., of University College, Durham, who was instituted in 1875. The church (St. Michael's) is a stone edifice in the Early English style, with nave, aisles, chancel, porch, font, and Norman tower with small spire and six bells. It was restored in 1859 at a cost of £500. the chancel contains some interesting stained glass. The earliest register is dated 1588. There is a national school for boys and girls, under Government inspection. It has a certificated mistress, and an average attendance of about 40. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Baptists have chapels in the parish. Eaton camp is on the south bank of the Wye, and is of British origin, but appears to have been only a temporary station. It is a large entrenchment with a single ditch and rampart. The area, which is cultivated, contains between 30 and 40 acres. About half a mile N.W. of the camp, and near the river, is Lower Eaton, the pleasant residence of Joseph Pulley, Esq., J.P., D.L. At Sugwas, on the opposite side of the Wye, was a palace and chapel belonging to the Bishops of Hereford. This was the favourite residence of Bishop Cantilupe. The chapel was taken down in 1792, and a modern mansion erected on the spot. It is now occupied by Frederick Platt, Esq., master of the North Herefordshire hounds. There is a ferry over the Wye from Sugwas to Lower Eaton. Cagebrook House, the residence of Mrs Yorke, is pleasantly situated about 1 mile S.E. of the church. The Manor House, Eaton Bishop, is at present void. Honeymoor Common and Ruckhall Common are places here.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Robert Mason, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford at 8.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.30 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Madley is the nearest money order office. Hereford is the telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Michael's).- Rev. William Robert Lawrence, M.A., Rector; Joseph Pulley, Esq., and Mr. Aaron Smith, Churchwardens; William South, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Miss Harrhy, Mistress.
Baptist Chapel.- Ministers various.
Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Ministers various.
Wesleyan Chapel.- Ministers various.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Lawrence Rev. William Robert, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Platt Fredk., Esq. (master of the North Herefordshire hounds), Sugwas court
Pulley Joseph, Esq., J.P., D.L., Lower Eaton
Yorke Mrs., Cagebrook house
COMMERCIAL.
Andrews Thomas, Boat Inn
Beaumont Mrs. Sarah, farmer, Warlow
Corbett George, miller Ruckhall mill
Cross John, farmer, Tump house
Dawes William, wheelwright
Griffiths Jeremiah, farmer, Marsh house
Harrhy Miss S., schoolmistress
Harris George, shoemaker
Hawkins Thomas, farmer and landowner, Sugwas court farm
Jones George, farmer, Green court
Lewis Charles, miller & farmer, New mills
Mason John, wheelwright, &c., Honeymoor
Mason Robert, shoemaker and sub-postmaster
Morgan Mrs. S., farmer, New barns farm
Perfrement Chas. Henry, cider retailer, Ruckhall common
Powell James, farmer, Marsh farm
Powell Jas., butcher, Ruckhall common
Powell John, farmer, Honeymoor com.
Powell Thomas, blacksmith
Smith Aaron, farmer, White house
Smith Samuel, farmer, Red house
South William, parish clerk
Symonds William, gardener, Honeymoor common
Walters George, farm bailiff for Joseph Pulley, Esq., J.P., Lane head farm
Watkins Thomas, farmer, Crossway farm
Wheeler Thomas, farmer, Upper Wormhill
Williams James, tailor, Cophall

Transcription by Marion Wilkinson in September 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/EatonBishop.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library