Eardisley, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Marion B. Wilkinson, © Copyright 2001

EARDISLEY,
WITH BOLLINGHAM, SPOND, WELSON, WOODSEAVES, ETC.

EARDISLEY (anciently Herdesleg) is an extensive parish and pleasant village bounded on the south by the river Wye, having a railway station on the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of the Midland railway, and on the newly-opened lines between Eardisley and Leominster, Kington, and Presteigne, which are worked by the Great Western railway company. The Kington and Eardisley railway was opened for traffic in 1874. The village is distant 5¼ miles S. of Kington (by road), 8 N.E. of Hay (7 by rail), 13¾ W.N.W. of Hereford (15 by road), and 24½ from Brecon; is in Huntington hundred, Kington union, county court district, and petty sessional division, and is a polling place for county elections. The population in 1861 was 826; in 1871, 903; inhabited houses, 177; families or separate occupiers, 226; area of parish, 4,529 acres; annual rateable value, £6,483. The executors of the late William Perry Herrick, Esq., of Beau-Manor park, Leicestershire, are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The soil is loamy, producing wheat, barley, roots, and pasture. A pleasure and hiring fair is held here on May 15th. Eardisley is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a vicarage, with Bollingham chapelry; value, £255, with residence; patrons, the executors of the late William Perry Herrick, Esq.; vicar, Rev. Charles Samuel Palmer, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1866. The income of the benefice is further augmented by the interest of £2,000 at 3 per cent., paid by the late Miss Herrick in 1870 to Queen Anne's bounty endowment trust. The Rev. Donald Cameron, M.A., Oxford, and of the Theological College, Wells, is the curate. The church is a stone edifice, partly of the 12th and partly of the 14th century, dedicated to St Mary Magdalene. It was thoroughly restored in 1862, at a cost of £2,450, at the sole expense of the late William Perry Herrick, Esq., from the plans of E. Christian, Esq., and was reopened on July 3rd, 1863. It has nave, chancel, aisles, and a tower containing five bells. There is also an ancient and beautifully carved stone font, the figures of which are in an excellent state of preservation. It is of Norman (some think of Saxon) date, and is supposed to be one of the oldest in the kingdom: numerous casts have been taken of it. A handsome organ has been erected, bearing the following inscription:-

" In grateful remembrance of the protection of
Almighty God in many dangers, especially at Delhi, 1858.
JOHN COKE"

At the entrance to the churchyard is a beautifully restored lych-gate, with the following inscription:-

"To the glory of God, and in memory of
HENRY CLELAN,
Vicar of this Parish, this Lych Gate was rebuilt 1863"

The parish registers begin with the year 1630. Here is an excellent national school for boys and girls, with residence for the master attached, erected in 1857 by the late W. Perry Herrick, Esq. It has a certificated master, and is under Government inspection; average attendance, above 100. The charities belonging to the parish amount to about £15 yearly. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel in the village erected in 1867. There is a chapel for the Calvinistic Methodists, erected in 1848 on Hurstway common, near a remarkably fine oak tree, said to be one of the largest in England; about 5 feet from the base it measures 30 feet 2 inches in circumference. There are traces of British and Roman encampments in the northern part of this parish, and like so many other places in this county, the site of a demolished castle, or rather, as recorded in Domesday book, of a fortified dwelling, domus defensibilis; "builded," says Taylor, in his "History of Cavel-kind," "because of its vicinity to the Welsh borders." In cleaning out the old moat at the Castle farm some years ago, several curious antiquities, including helmets, spears, a sword, &c., were found. Lemore, the residence of Major-General John Coke, C.B., J.P., and D.L., is about a mile and a half N.W. of the parish church.

Bollingham is a chapelry in Eardisley, distant about 2 miles N. of the village and about 3 S. of Kington. The chapel was restored in 1867 at a cost of £583, under the superintendence of T. Nicholson, Esq., of Hereford, the diocesan architect. The roofs of nave and chancel are new; the west wall and part of the north wall and porch rebuilt; the windows, paving, seating, and all internal fittings, entirely new. The east window is filled with painted glass (by Clayton & Bell) at the expense of Mrs. Aldworth, in memory of the late vicar, the Rev. W. St. Leger Aldworth. The glass in the west window (by Heaton, Butler, & Bayne) is the gift of the Dowager Lady Cockburn, in memory of R. Whitcomb, Esq., and of his son. The font is the gift of the present vicar. Bollingham House is the property and residence of Mrs. M. Bedward. Spond (Upper) is a hamlet 3 miles N. of Eardisley; Welson (Lower) is 1 mile N.W.; Woodseaves is 1½ miles W.; Hurstway Common is ¾ of a mile W.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Post and telegraph office, John Harper, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive at 7.24 a.m.; despatched at 6.36 p.m. Most of the letters now come by rail to Kington thence by mail-cart to Eardisley en route to Hay and Glasbury. A walking postman from Letton meets the mail-cart from Hereford, arriving at Eardisley at 9.15 a.m., and returning at 4.15 p.m. Money orders are granted and paid, post office savings bank, and postal telegraph business transacted from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m. Eardisley being what is termed a Railway Sub-Office, letters should by addressed - Eardisley, R.S.O. (Herefordshire.)
Parish Church (St. Mary Magdalene).- Rev. Charles Samuel Palmer, M.A., Vicar; Rev. Donald Cameron, M.A., Curate; Major-General John Coke, C.B., and Mr. James Marston, Churchwardens; John Jones, Clerk.
Bollingham Chapel of Ease.- The Vicar, or his Curate, officiates.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. Jesse Lodge, Master; Mrs. Mary Lodge, Mistress; and two Pupil Teachers.
Great Oak Tabernacle Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist), Herstway common.- Rev. H. Davies, Minister.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, The Village.- Ministers various.
Railway Station (Hereford, Hay, and Brecon Railway, and Kington and Eardisley Railway).- John Williams, Station Master.
Steward of the Manor of Eardisley.- Anthony Temple, Esq., solicitor, Kington.
Assistant Overseer.- Mr. Richard Chaloner, Clyro, Radnorshire.
Road Surveyor.- Mr. Edward Delfosse, Kington.
Eardisley Agricultural Society.- Mr. John Turner, Secretary.

EARDISLEY,
WITH BOLLINGHAM, SPOND, WELSON, WOODSEAVES, ETC. DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Barber Mr. William, Newman's place
Beavan Mrs., Eton cottage
Bedward Mrs. Matilda, Bollingham house
Cameron Rev. Donald, M.A. (curate)
Coke Major-General John, C.B., J.P., and D.L., Lemore
Coke Rev. G.F., M.A., Lemore
Evans Mrs. Martha, The Cottage
Evans Mrs., Parton
Fishbourne Mrs., Ivy cottage
Hoffman O.W., Esq., M.R.C.S., Bridge ho.
Marston Mr. James, Lady Harbour
Palmer Rev. Chas. Sml., M.A. (vicar of Eardisley with Bollingham), The Vicarage
Palmer Captain Thomas
Pugh Miss, Ivy cottage
Turner Mrs., Eardisley park
Wall Mr. Thomas, Laurel cottage
COMMERCIAL.
Barber Wm., estate agent for exors. of Wm. Perry Herrick, Esq., Newman's pl.
Bufton William, farmer and landowner, Crow farm; res., Willersley
Chandler James, farmer, Upper Spond
Connop James, farmer, Pound farm
Davies Alfred, thrashing machine proprietor, New Crow
Davies James, farmer, St Mary's
Davies Thos., shoeing and jobbing smith
Davies William, farmer, Upper Welson
Drew Dansey, farmer, Upper Spond
East Francis, cider retailer, Woodseaves
East Thomas, shoemaker, Rose cottage
Edwards John, farmer, Upper house
Evans James, farmer, Lower Welson
Evans Mrs. S., farmer, Parton
Griffiths Richard, New Inn, and farmer
Griffiths Thomas, farmer, Castle farm
Harper John, baker, confectioner, & sub-postmaster, Post and Telegraph office
Hoffman O.W., M.R.C.S., surgeon, Bridge house
Jay John, tailor, &c.
Jenkins James, mason
Jones James, blacksmith, Spond
Jones John, shoemaker and parish clerk
Lewis Thomas, carpenter
Llewellyn Philip, shopkeeper, coal merchant, and agent for the Hereford Times
Lodge Jesse, master of the National school
Marston James, farmer, Lady Harbour farm
Mitchell Charles, saddler and harness maker; and at 46 High st., Kington
Morgan Evan, farmer, Lower Welson
Nott William, carpenter
Page Wm., plumber, glazier, and painter
Phillips John, tailor, draper, and grocer
Philpotts William, beer retailer
Pooton John, farmer, Lower Welson
Powell Mrs. Caroline, grocer, draper, malster, and corn dealer
Powell James, farmer and miller, Eardisley mill
Powell James, farmer, Parsonage farm
Powell John, sawing machine proprietor, Woodseaves
Price Edward, farmer, Bollingham
Price George, wheelwright, carpenter, and coal merchant
Savekar John, collar and harness maker
Symonds Jas., shoemaker, Lower Welson
Tantram William, railway inspector
Turner John, farmer, Eardisley park
Vaughan John, butcher and farmer, Folly and St. Mary's farms
Walker Peter, tailor, Eardisley common
Wall John, farmer, Little Quebb
Wall Richard, farmer, Wooton
Wall Robert, farmer, Brook house
Wall William, farmer, Great Quebb
Watkins Mrs. Ellen, Tram Inn
Williams John, sta. master, Railway sta.
Williams John, blacksmith
Williams Mrs., farmer, The Dukes
Williams Thomas, farmer, Quest moor

Transcription by Marion Wilkinson in September 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Eardisley.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library