Dulas, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

DULAS is a small parish situated on Dulas brook, about 13 miles S.W. of Hereford, and 2 N.W. of Pontrilas station on the West Midland section of the Great Western railway; is in Webtree hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Ewyas Harold polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 76; in 1871, 75; inhabited houses, 13; families or separate occupiers, 14; area of parish, 845 acres; annual rateable value, £718. The executors of the late Lieut.- Colonel Feilden are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, clay and sandstone; chief crops, wheat, barley, oats, &c. Dulas is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a vicarage; value, £80, with 42 acres of glebe; patrons, the executors of the late Colonel Feilden; vicar, Rev. Henry Prosser, who was instituted in 1827. The church was rebuilt in 1865 at a cost of £1,225, solely defrayed by the late Lieut.- Colonel Feilden (with the exception of £25 granted by the Hereford Diocesan Church Building Society). It is in the Early English style of architecture, and consists of nave, chancel, sacristy, and north porch, and will accommodate about 100 persons. The walling is of local stone, with Bath-stone dressing; and the floors are laid with Godwin's encaustic tiles. The font is of stone, with inlays of coloured marbles. The pulpit, &c., in use are the carved oak ones from the old church. The building was executed by country tradesmen of the neighbourhood, from the designs and under the superintendence of George C. Haddon, Esq., architect, of Hereford and Malvern. The children of this parish attend Ewyas Harold School. Dulas Court, the residence of Mrs. Feilden, is a handsome mansion; it was rebuilt a few years since.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford. Ewyas Harold is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church.- Rev. Henry Prosser, Vicar; Mr. Richard Brisland, Churchwarden.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Feilden Mrs., Dulas court
COMMERCIAL.
Brisland Richard, farmer, Cot farm
Hobbs Wm. H., frmr., Dulas Home farm
Humphreys Joseph, farmer, Upper Cefn
Powell Mrs. Elizabeth, frmr., Platch farm
Sargent Thomas, farmer, Middle Cefn
Spencer Thomas, head gardener for Mrs. Feilden
Williams Edward, farmer, Lower Cefn
Williams Ephraim, farmer and carpenter

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in March 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Dulas.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library