Donnington, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001

DONNINGTON is a small parish situated on the road from Ledbury to Gloucester, distant 2 miles S. of Ledbury, 6 N. of Newent, and 17 S.E. of Hereford; in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, polling district, county court district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 105; in 1871, 89; inhabited houses, 16; families or separate occupiers, 17; area of parish, 799a. 2r. 7p.; annual rateable value, £1,536. The manorial rights are held by the representatives of the late Richard Webb, Esq., who, with William Charles Henry, Esq., M.D., and Michael Biddulph, Esq., M.P., are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey; producing wheat, beans, hops, and apples. This place was one of the earliest settlements of the English in Herefordshire, and takes its name from the clan of the Donns. Its ancient name, according to Domesday, was Dodentune. The parish is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of South Froome; living, a rectory; value, £200, with residence and 26 acres of glebe; patrons, the representatives of the late Richard Webb, Esq.; rector, Rev. John Lander, M.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1845. The church (St Mary's) was erected in the 13th or 14th century, and has recently undergone restoration and enlargement at a cost of over £700. It has a wooden tower containing two bells. The eastern window is filled with stained glass. The parish registers date from the middle of last century. There is no school in the parish; the children attend Eastnor and Haffield schools. Donnington Hall, the property of the representatives of the late Richard Webb, Esq., is at present occupied by James Wickens, Esq., J.P.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Thomas Saddler, Sub-Postmaster, Greenway. Letters are received through Ledbury, and are delivered between 9 and 11 a.m.; despatched at 5.15 p.m. Ledbury is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. John Lander, M.A., Rector; James Wickens, Esq., Churchwarden; Mrs. Ann Pullen, Sextoness. The Mail Coach from Ledbury to Gloucester passes through daily; leaves Ledbury at 8 a.m.; leaves Gloucester at 3.30 p.m.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Lander Rev. John, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Wickens Jas., Esq., J.P., Donnington hall
COMMERCIAL.
Chadd Jas., frmr. & hop grower, The Farm
Cross John, blacksmith, Rose cottage
Cummins John, farmer, Dinchall
Fowler Thos. Stallard, farmer, The Court
Mayo William, farmer, Lower house and Smallings farms
Revell William, cider maker and dealer, The Nurdens
Saddler Thos., sub-postmaster, Greenway
Smith Charles, farmer, The Vineyard (and in Ledbury parish)

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in November 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Donnington.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library