Docklow, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

DOCKLOW is a parish and village pleasantly situated on the main road between Leominster and Bromyard, about 5½ miles E. of the former town, 7 W. of Bromyard, 7 S. of Tenbury; and 18 N.E. of Hereford; is in Wolpby hundred, Leominster union, county court district, and petty sessional division, and is the polling place for Docklow district. The proposed new line of railway from Leominster to Bromyard will intersect the parish. The population in 1861 was 185; in 1871, 179; inhabited houses, 31; families or separate occupiers, 39; area of parish, 1,389 acres; annual rateable value, £1,510. John Hungerford Arkwright, Esq., of Hampton court, is lord of the manor. The principal landowners and the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, Captain Edward Nicholas Heygate, R..E., Mrs. Arabella Prescott, Martin Curtler, Esq., and Evan Pateshall, Esq., M.P. The soil is clayey; subsoil, gravel; chief produce, wheat, beans, hops, fruit, and barley.

Docklow is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Leominster; living, a vicarage, united to that of Stoke Prior; joint value, £260, with 23 acres of glebe; patron, the Vicar of Leominster; vicar, Rev. Henry Cooper, B.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1853, and resides at Stoke Prior vicarage: The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is nearly covered with ivy, which gives it a very pretty appearance. It has a low square tower, nave, porch, chancel, and organ. The children of this parish attend Hatfield school. At Uphampton is a small British camp, forming one of a continuous range which may be traced crossing the county in a north-easterly direction. Buckland is the seat of Captain Edward Nicholas Heygate, R.E., J.P., and D.L. Oaklands is the residence of Robert Henry John Heygate, Esq. Hampton Wafer, formerly an extra-parochial place, is now a parish, and will be found under a separate heading.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Leominster about 9 a.m. The letter-box is cleared at 3.40 p.m. Leominster is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Bartholomew's).- Rev. Henry Cooper, B.A., Vicar; Mr. Thomas Parr, Churchwarden; John Mason, Parish Clerk.

HAMPTON WAFER is a very small parish adjoining that of Docklow, distant 6¼ miles E.S.E. of Leominster, and 17 N.N.E. of Hereford; is in Wolphy hundred, Leominster union, county court district, and petty sessional division, and Docklow polling district. It was formerly an extra-parochial place, but is now constituted a parish for the purposes of the Act of 20 Vict., c.19. The population in 1861 was 11; in 1871, 14; inhabited houses, 3; families or separate occupiers, 4; area of parish, 326 acres;, annual rateable value, £358. John Hungerford Arkwright, Esq., of Hampton court, is owner of the soil. The parish consists of one farm in the occupation of Mr. Charles Powell. Soil, clay; chief crops, wheat, barley, hops, and fruit.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Leominster, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.

RESIDENT.- Powell Charles, farmer and hop grower.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Heygate Captain Edward Nicholas, R.E., J.P., D.L., Buckland
Heygate Robt. Hen. Jno., Esq., Oaklands
COMMERCIAL.
Adam George, M.A., private tutor
Adam Miss Margaret, day school
Bishop Edward, farmer and hop grower, Lower Docklow
Braddell Henry E.C., farmer, Fencote (and at Hampton Charles)
Britten Edward H., farmer, Uphampton
Davies John, smith & implement maker
Hagger Wade, farmer, Clark's Croft
Herren Mrs. Jane, farmer & hop grower, Lower Buckland
Hodnett John, carpenter and wheelwright
Holyoake Mrs. Mary, boarding and day school (conducted by Mr. M.A. Rees, M.C.P.), Docklow academy
Mason John, parish clerk
Parr Thomas, farmer and hop grower, West end
Powell Charles, farmer, Hampton Wafer
PRICE THOMAS, grocer, provision dealer, and cottage farmer
Rees Moses Arthur, M.C.P., schoolmaster, Docklow academy
Wood Mrs. Elizabeth, King's Head Inn

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in March 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Docklow.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library