Dinedor, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

DINEDOR, or DYNEDOR, is a scattered village and parish distant 4 miles S.E. of Hereford, 12 N.W. of Ross, 12 W. of Ledbury, and 2 N.W. of Holme Lacy station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester branch of the Great Western railway, by which line the parish is intersected. It is in Webtree hundred, Hereford union, county court district, polling district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 270; in 1871, 283 - inhabited houses, 57; families or separate occupiers, 66; area of parish, 1,609a. 3r. 19p.; annual rateable value, £3,854. Charles de-la-Barre Bodenham, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is fruitful, chiefly sandy loam and gravel, with a substratum of clay; produce, wheat, beans, barley, roots, and a few hops. Dinedor is in the diocese, archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford; living, a rectory; value, £276, with residence and 60 acres of glebe; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Worcester College, Oxford; rector, Rev. Rowland Muckleston, M.A., formerly tutor and vice-provost of that college, who was instituted in 1854.

The church (name of saint unknown) was rebuilt in 1868 at a cost of £750. It is a neat edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, porch, and tower containing two bells. The earliest register is dated 1750. There is a Roman Catholic church at Rotherwas. There are a few small charities belonging to the parish. The parochial school for boys and girls is supported by the rector and small payments of the children; average attendance, about 30. Rotherwas, the seat of Charles de-la-Barre Bodenham, Esq., J.P., D.L., is a spacious and handsome mansion, situated on the south side of the river Wye. This place has been the residence of the Bodenhams upwards of three centuries. The present mansion was built by the ancestor of Charles de-la-Barre Bodenham, Esq., in 1731; near it stands a small Roman Catholic church, which belonged to the ancient manor house. The adjacent grounds, stretching towards the banks of the river, are plain and very fertile; on the south are gradual ascents, on which are some beautiful woods.

About a mile and a half S.W. of Rotherwas is an eminence called Dynedor hill, on which are vestiges of an ancient camp, traditionally recorded to have been occupied by Ostorius Scapula, who led the Roman armies against the Britons in the time of Caractacus. The views from this spot are extremely fine: on the N.W. Hereford is seen rising with an easy ascent from the banks of the Wye, and beyond it is spread out a beautiful vale, diversified with many interesting objects, and bounded by the mountains of Brecknockshire; in the N. and N.E. are the Clee hills of Shropshire, and towards the E. the Malvern hills of Worcestershire; on the S.W. appear the Hatteral hills, or Black mountains; and on the S. and S.E. is a pleasant and variegated country, animated by the meanderings of the Wye. The hill itself is cultivated to the edge of the entrenchment, the bank of which is covered with underwood.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford about 9 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5 p.m. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church.- Rev. Rowland Muckleston, M.A., Rector; Messrs. William Slade and William Lyddiatt, Churchwardens; John Gains, Parish Clerk.
Roman Catholic Church, Rotherwas.- , ___ Priest.
Parochial School (boys and girls).- Miss Mary Ann Smith, Mistress.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Bodenham Charles de-la-Barre, Esq., J.P., D.L., Rotherwas
Muckleston Rev. Rowland, M.A. (rector of Dinedor and rural dean of Hereford deanery), The Rectory
COMMERCIAL.
Colborn Mr., farmer, Upper Raven farm
Edwards Mrs. Margaret, farmer and hop grower, Dinedor court
Farmer William, farmer, &c., Home farm
Gains John, carpenter and parish clerk
Godsall J., cottage farmer
Lyddiatt William, farmer, Globe farm
Matty William, farmer, Gatehouse
Morris Christopher, farmer, Dinedor hill
Oatridge Alfred, farmer, The Prospect
Ockey Charles T., farmer, Hollow farm
Preece Mrs., farmer, Blue bowl
Preece Thomas, farmer
Slade William, farmer, Dinedor cross
Smith Miss Mary Ann, schoolmistress
Watkins James, farmer, Lower Raven farm
Wheatstone Wm., miller, Dinedor mill

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in March 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Dinedor.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library