Dewsall, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

DEWSALL is a small parish situated near the Hereford and Ross road, about 4½ miles S.S.W. of Hereford, 11 N.W. of Ross, and 1¾ E. of Tram Inn station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway (West Midland section). It is in Wormelow hundred (upper division), Hereford union and county court district, Much Birch polling district, and Harewood End petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 36; in 1871, 45; inhabited houses, 8; families or separate occupiers, 8; area of parish, 676 acres; annual rateable value, £783. The Governors of Guy's Hospital, London, are lords of the manor, and own nearly the whole parish. The soil is clayey; subsoil, gravel; chief produce, hops, wheat, beans, and fruit. Dewsall is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a vicarage consolidated with that of Callow; joint value, £210, with residence and 2 acres of glebe, and £14 allowed by Queen Anne's bounty; patron, Rev. Alfred W. Horton; vicar, Rev. Thomas Phillipps, M.A., of Jesus College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1838. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a plain but ancient edifice, with nave, chancel, porch, and low tower containing three bells. It-was neatly restored in 1868, at a cost of somewhat over £300. There are three monuments to the Pearl family, whose sole heiress intermarried with the family of Buckingham and Chandos, who formerly resided in this parish. The earliest register is dated 1582. There is a new school for this parish and Callow, built by the Governors of Guy's Hospital. It is situate opposite Callow church.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Michael's).- Rev. Thomas Phillipps, M.A., Vicar; Walter Morris, Esq., Churchwarden; Thomas Whiteby, Parish Clerk.
RESIDENTS.
Phillipps Rev. Thomas, M.A. (vicar of Dewsall with Callow), The Vicarage
Morris Walter, farmer and hop grower, Dewsall court

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in March 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Dewsall.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library