Cusop, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

CUSOP (anciently written Kynshop) is a village and parish situated on the borders of Brecknockshire, and on the main road between Hay and Hereford, distant 1 mile S.E. of the former town, 19 W. of the latter, and 11 S. of Kington. The Hay station on the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of the Midland railway is in this parish. It is in Huntington hundred, Hay union and county court district, Dorstone polling district, and Bredwardine petty sessional division. The justices for the division meet at the "Nelson Inn" on the second Monday in every month. (The list of justices will be found under the head of Bredwardine.) The population of Cusop in 1861 was 218; in 1871, 208; inhabited houses, 47; families or separate occupiers, 49; area of parish, 2,294 acres; annual rateable value, £2,200. The soil is sandy; subsoil, sandstone; chief produce, wheat, barley, oats, and roots. F.R. Trumper, Esq., of Hay, is lord of the manor. Thomas James Stallard-Penoyre, Esq., of The Moor, Clifford, Thomas Lilwall, Esq., and Mrs. Watkins, are the principal landowners. Cusop is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a rectory; value, £210, with 30 acres of glebe;; patron, Robert William Dacre Harley, Esq.; rector, Rev. David Rodney Murray, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, who was instituted in 1834, and resides at Brampton Brian rectory. The Rev. R.D. Palmer, B.A., is the curate. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is supposed to have been erected before the year 1100. It was restored in 1858, and now consists of nave, chancel, porch, font, bell-turret, and two bells. A school board has been recently formed for this parish, and a new school erected with teacher's residence.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hay, R.S.O., which is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. David Rodney Murray, M.A., Rector; Rev. R.D. Palmer, B.A., Curate; Messrs. William Wilkinson and John Newman, Churchwardens; Walter Winstone, Parish Clerk and Sexton.
Cusop School Board.- Mr. H.C. Lloyd, Clerk to the Board; Mr. ___ Master of Board School.
Hay Railway Station (Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of Midland Railway).- William Brown, Station Master.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Coleman Mrs., Cusop cottage
Lewis Miss, Tyrglyu
Lilwall Thomas, Esq., Llydyadyway
Morley Mrs., Nant-y-glaster
Swinburne W.A., Esq., Dullas
COMMERCIAL.
Batts Mrs., lodging house, Cooper's hall
Bazzard James, carpenter and wheelwrt.
Brown William, station master, Hay railway station
Navies Charles, farmer, Pen-yr-hen-llan.
Davies Mrs., Nelson Inn
Howells John, farmer, Nant-y-glaster
Lane John, farmer, Tybordy
Lilwall Thomas, farmer and landowner, Llydyadyway
Lloyd Henry Charles, clerk to Cusop school board; rate colltr., and sanitary inspector for Hay union, Blenheim cot.
Meredith Dvd., frmr. & landwnr., Redley
Meredith John, farmer, Trevadock
Newman John, farmer, Tyllyshope
Nott Mrs., laundress, Snails hill
Price David, farmer, Blaenau
Price George, Sun Inn, and mason
Price Thomas, farmer, Broad meadow
Price James, farmer, The Turrett
Wilkinson William, miller and farmer, Cusop mill
Winstone Walter, parish clerk and sexton

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in January 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Cusop.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library