Collington, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

COLLINGTON is a parish pleasantly situated near the borders of Worcestershire, and on the Bromyard and Tenbury road, distant 4 miles N. of Bromyard, 7 S.E. of Tenbury, 11 E. of Leominster, 18 N.E. of Hereford, and 16 W. by N. of Worcester; is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, county court district, and petty sessional division, and High Lane (Tedstone Delamere) polling district. The population in 1861 was 150; in 1871, 128; inhabited houses, 26; families or separate occupiers, 26; area of parish, 985 acres; annual rateable value, £1,137. William Barneby, Esq., of Saltmarshe castle, who is lord of the manor, William Lacon Childe, Esq., of Kinlet hall, Bewdley, Thomas Philip Payne Wight, Esq., of Ripplewood, and the Governors of Christ's Hospital, London, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and loam. In the parish is a large gravel pit; a narrow seam of sand and gravel runs through the middle of it on a slight elevation from north to south; the western soil has limestone, and to the south-west freestone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, hops, and apples. Collington is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; living, a rectory, consolidated with that of Edvin Ralph; patron, William Lacon Childe, Esq.; rector, Rev. Arthur Childe, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1847, and resides at Edvin Ralph rectory. The living of Collington is commuted at £146 16s. 6d., and there are about 40 acres of glebe. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a small and handsome building in the Early English style of architecture. It was erected in 1856 of freestone found in the parish; total cost, about £700. The old church, which was inconveniently situated at the extremity of the parish, has been pulled down. The children attend the district schools at Thornbury and Stoke Bliss. There is a small chapel for the Primitive Methodists. Ripplewood is the residence of Thomas Philip Payne Wight, Esq.
POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Worcester via Bromyard, and arrive by messenger from the latter place about 10.30 a.m. Bromyard is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (All Saints).- Rev. Arthur Childe, M.A., Rector; Mr. Thomas Aymes, Churchwarden; William Knight, Parish Clerk.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Wight Thos. P. Payne, Esq., Ripplewood
COMMERCIAL.
Aymes Thomas, farmer, Church farm
Cook James, cottage farmer, Combswood
Hemming Mrs.,boot and shoe maker.
Knight William, parish clerk, and cottage farmer, The Bank
Nott Arthur Pritchard, farmer and hop grower, Field house
Nott Thomas, farmer, Underhill
Nott William, farmer and hop grower, Castle and. Combswood farms
Price Thomas, farmer, Lower Field house
Seeley James, cottage farmer, Ballgrove
Surrell William, blacksmith

[Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in September 2002
from a copy of Littlebury's Directory of Herefordshire, 1876-7 in Hereford Central Library]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Collington.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library