Coddington, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001

CODDINGTON (anciently Cotingtune) is a small parish on the borders of Worcestershire, distant 4 miles N. of Ledbury, 5 S.W. of Malvern, and 15 E. by N. of Hereford; is in Radlow hundred, Ledbury Union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and is a polling place for county elections. The population in 1861 was 168; in 1871, 180; inhabited houses, 34; families or separate occupiers; 40; area of parish, 1,064a. 1r. 21p.; annual rateable value, £1,492. The Lord Bishop of Hereford is lord of the manor, and Charles Archibald Hewitt, Esq., of Hope end, Henry Edward Vale, Esq., of Coddington house, and John Martin, Esq., of Upper hall, Ledbury, are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey, and yields excellent hops and apples. The other chief crops are wheat, beans, and roots. Coddington is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of South Froome; living, a rectory; value, £186, with residence and 36 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; rector, Rev, George James Curtis, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1860.

The church forms a pretty object, and is prettily situated, the view from the churchyard westward being very extensive. This twelfth-century church, dedicated to All Saints, was restored in 1866 at a cost of about £2,200. It consists simply of nave and chancel without aisles, but having a new ornamental tower and spire at the west end containing a peal of six bells. It was originally a Norman structure, as appears by the round-headed door beneath a modern porch, and though restored, the Norman features have been preserved as much as possible. The Early English windows remain; those in the chancel were filled with stained glass in 1873. The church is paved with encaustic tiles from the well-known manufactory of Mr. W. Godwin, of Lugwardine. The reredos is composed of round intersecting arcades supported on polished marble pillars, which is very effective. There is a piscina on the south side.

There is an organ-chamber, and a fine organ was erected in 1871 by Nicholson, of Worcester. The restoration of this interesting fabric was carried out from the designs and under the superintendence of F.R. Kempson, Esq., F.I.B.A., of Hereford. The parish registers begin with the year 1675. A new school, with residence for the mistress, was built in 1868, near the church, at a cost of £650. The average attendance is about 25. There are charities to the amount of £30 yearly, the principal of which is a farm, devised in the reign of Henry VIII. for the benefit of the poorer classes. Coddington House is the residence of Captain Henry Edward Vale.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Ledbury about 8.30 a.m. The letter-box is cleared at 4.45 p.m. on week days only. Ledbury is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (All Saints').- Rev. George James Curtis, M.A., Rector; Mr. Robert Hodges and Mrs. M.A. Kendrick, Churchwardens; James Lewis, Parish Sexton.
Parochial School (boys and girls).- Miss Harriette Dallow, Mistress.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Curtis Rev. George James, M.A. (rector of Coddington, and chaplain of St.
Catherine's hospital, Ledbury), The Rectory
Vale Henry Edward, Esq. (captain of the Worcestershire militia), Coddington ho.
COMMERCIAL.
Dallow Miss Harriette, schoolmistress, School house
Farmer James, mason, beer retailer, and shopkeeper, Red house
Hales George, farmer, Bush farm
Hodges Robert, farmer and hop grower, Coddington farm; res., Worcester
James George, farmer, Pound farm
James Thomas, carpenter & wheelwright
Kendrick Mrs. Mary Ann, farmer and hop grower, Woefields.
Morris William, tailor
Moss Samuel, tailor
Powell ___, gamekeeper to C.A. Hewitt, Esq., J.P., D.L.
Rogers Mrs. M., beer retailer (Golden Cross)
Smith William Henry, farmer, Moorcroft (and in Colwall parish)
Stinton ___, farm bailiff, Coddington farm
Townsend Frederick, blacksmith
Wadley John, farmer and hop grower, Church farm

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in November 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Coddington.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library