Clodock, Herefordshire

Description from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001

CLODOCK.
[See also CRASSWALL, LLANVEYNO, LONGTOWN, and NEWTON]

CLODOCK is a very extensive parish, situated on the river Monnow, at the foot of the Hatterall hills or Black mountains. It is subdivided into the townships of Crasswall, Llanveyno (or Llanfaino), Longtown, and Newton, each maintaining its own poor, and appointing its own officers. For ecclesiastical purposes they are connected together as Clodock parish (except Newton). It is-distant 17 miles S.W. of Hereford, and about 6 W. of Pontrilas station on the Hereford and Abergavenny branch of the Great Western railway (West Midland section; is in Ewyas Lacy hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, and Abergavenny county court district. Llanveyno, Longtown, and Newton are in Longtown polling district, and Crasswall is in Michaelchurch Eskley district. The population in 1861 was 1,791; in 1871, 1,709; inhabited houses, 370; families or separate occupiers, 381; area of parish, 17,833 acres; annual rateable value, about £10,000. The Marquess of Abergavenny is lord of the manor of Ewyas Lacy. The soil is sandy; subsoil, red sandstone; chief produce, wheat, barley, and oats. Clodock is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a vicarage; value, £224, with residence; patron, Walter de Winton, Esq.; vicar, Rev. Charles Proberts, of St. David's College, Lampeter, who was instituted in 1835, and resides at Bacton rectory. The Rev. Charles Lionel Eagles, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford, is the curate in sole charge, and resides at Longtown vicarage. The parish church, dedicated to St. Cleodicus, is in a ruinous state. It is a large stone structure in the Early English style of architecture, with square tower containing five bells. It consists of nave, chancel, side aisles, porch, font, and several monumental tablets. There are the foundations alone remaining of an apse or second chancel. At the entrance to the churchyard is a lych-gate (erected A.D. 1667). The earliest register is dated 1705. There is no burial-ground at either of the chapelries of Crasswall, Llanfaino, or Longtown they are merely chapels of ease to the mother church. Newton was formed into an ecclesiastical district in 1848; it has a new church and burial-ground, and does not pay church-rates to Clodock. The charities belonging to the poor and school are of £37 yearly value. Here is a circular moat, inside which once stood a castle, the keep of which still remains, with the portcullis. Some Roman remains have been recently found here.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Abergavenny. Ewyas Harold and Abergavenny are the nearest money order offices. Pontrilas is the nearest telegraph office. Post town, Abergavenny.
Parish Church (St. Cleodicus').- Rev. Charles Proberts, Vicar; Rev. Charles Lionel Eagles, M.A., Curate; _______, Churchwarden; William Pritchard, Parish Clerk.

[For Directory, see the Townships as above.]

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in November 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Clodock.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library