Clifford, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

CLIFFORD,
WITH HARDWICK AND CASTLETON.

CLIFFORD is a large parish, extending to the borders of Breconshire and Radnorshire, and distant about 3 miles N.E. of Hay, 9 S.W. of Kington, and 18 W.N.W. of Hereford, in Huntington hundred, Hay union and county court district, Dorstone polling district, and Bredwardine petty sessional division. The river Wye enters Herefordshire near this place, and glides beautifully between orchards, meadows, and corn-fields, till it reaches the abrupt and commanding eminence of Mawbech hill. The Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of the Midland railway and the main road from Hereford to Hay intersect the parish. The population in 1861 was 895; in 1871, 921; inhabited houses, 216; families or separate occupiers, 216; area of parish, 6,522 acres; annual rateable value, £8,303. Benjamin Haigh Allen, Esq., Tomkyns Dew, Esq., and Thomas James Stallard-Penoyre, Esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, sandsfone; principal crops, wheat, barley, beans, and roots.

On a bold eminence, rising from the banks of the Wye, near its entrance into this county from Breconshire, stand the picturesque remains of Clifford castle, for nearly two centuries the baronial residence of the Lords de Clifford, who obtained it by the marriage of Walter Fitz-Richard (a descendant of Richard, second Duke of Normandy) with Margaret, daughter and heiress of Ralph de Cundy. It was built by William Fitz-Osborne, Earl of Hereford; but at the time of the Domesday survey was held by Radulphus de Totenie. The venerable ruins are mantled with ivy and surrounded by graceful trees, and the neighbouring country is richly wooded. The celebrated but unfortunate Jane de Clifford, commonly known as "Fair Rosamond", daughter of Walter de Clifford, was born in this castle. She was the favourite of Henry II., and on account of her beauty was called Rosa Mundi, the "Rose of the World".

In the time of Henry I., Simon Fitz-Walter founded a cell of Cluniac monks in this parish, subordinate to the Priory at Lewes, in Sussex. It was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, and its revenues at the period of the Dissolution were estimated, according to Speed, at £65 11s. 11d. per annum. Clifford is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a vicarage; value, £340, with residence and 60 acres of glebe; patron, Mrs. Elizabeth Trumper; vicar, Rev. T.W. Walwyn Trumper, M.A., S.C.L., of Pembroke College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1874. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice, with square tower, in the Norman style, in a fair state of repair, and containing five bells. The interior has nave, chancel, porch, font, organ, and several monuments and tablets. The earliest register is dated 1100 [Ed: somehow, I don't think so, but this is what it says!]. The charities amount to about £10 yearly. There is an endowed national school for boys and girls, under Government inspection.

The Presbyterians have a chapel at Priory wood. At Hardwick, in this parish, distant 1 mile S.E., is a district church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It was built in 1851 at a cost of £4,000. The founders were the late Mrs. Penoyre, Rev. T.M. Penoyre, and Mrs. Napleton Penoyre. It is a handsome stone building, in the Mediaeval style, and has nave, chancel, belfry, and two bells. The communion plate was given by the founders, and a flagon by the late Rev. John Webb, M.A., F.A.S. There is a good organ: The living is a vicarage; value, £134, with residence and 4 acres of glebe; patron, T.J. Stallard-Penoyre, Esq.; vicar, Rev. Thomas William Webb, M.A., of Magdalen Hall, Oxford, who was instituted in 1856. The population of Hardwick ecclesiastical district in 1871 was 383. The children attend the national school. Castleton is a hamlet distant 2 miles N.E. There are several handsome seats in this parish: Clifford Priory, the residence of Benjamin Haigh Allen, Esq., J.P., D.L., the late high sheriff of the county; The Moor, the seat of Thomas James Stallard-Penoyre, Esq., J.P.; and Middlewood, in the occupation of Colonel Balmain.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- George Williams, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Hereford at 8.4 a.m.; despatched at 5 p.m. Hay is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Clifford being what is termed a Railway Sub-office, letters should be addressed - Clifford, R.S.O. (Herefordshire.)
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. T.W.W. Trumper, M.A., S.C.L., Vicar; B. Haigh Allen, Esq., and Mr. E. Goodwin, Churchwardens; Thomas Powell, Parish Clerk.
Holy Trinity Church, Hardwick.- Rev. Thomas William Webb, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. John Rutter and William Meredith, Churchwardens; James Gorse, Clerk; Thomas Wood, Sexton.
National School (boys and girls), Hardwick.- Mr. William Sandwick, Master; Miss Maria Sandwick, Sewing Mistress.
Presbyterian Chapel, Priory wood.- Ministers various.

CLIFFORD,
WITH HARDWICK AND CASTLETON DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Allen Benjamin Haigh, Esq., J.P., D.L. (for Herefordshire, Breconshire, and Staffordshire), The Priory
Balmain Colonel, Middlewood
Baskerville Walter; Esq.
Bowen Mr. Charles, Rosamond place
Done R.H., Esq., Pontvaen
Morgan Mrs., Garrison place
Phillips Thomas, Esq., Westbrook manor
Reading Mr. William, Wye villa
Stallard-Penoyre Thomas James, Esq., J.P., The Moor
Trevelyan Thornton Rgr., Esq., Clifford pl.
Trumper Rev. T.W. Walwyn, M.A., S.C.L. (vicar of Clifford), Clifford vicarage
Webb Rev. Thomas Wm., M.A., F.R.A.S. (vicar of Hardwick), Hardwick vicarage
COMMERCIAL.
Apperley William, builder, &c.
Bayliss Benjamin, tailor
Boucher James, farmer, Penland
Brace James, blacksmith, Pen-y-park:
Daniels George, Royal Oak, shopkeeper, and farmer, Hardwick
Davies Mrs. Ann, farmer, Broadmeadow and Lower house
Davies James, farmer, Paddock
Davies Thomas, farmer, Castleton
Davies Thomas, Unicorn Inn, and thrashing-machine proprietor, Hardwick
Duggan Mrs., farmer, The Green
Farr Thos., frmr., Harewood & Urchinfield
Goodwin Edward, farmer, Upper court
Goodwin Jas., farmer, Upper Castleton
Goodwin Richard farmer, Sheepeote
Gorse James, clerk of church, Hardwick
Gwilliam Jas., farmer, Court of Clifford
Harper Edward, Castle Inn
Harris William, miller, Clock. mill
Hill Benjamin, beer retailer, and farmer
Hill William, farmer
Hodges James, farm bailiff for T.J. Stallard-Penoyre, Esq., J.P., The Moor
Holl James, farmer, Great ho., Hardwick
James ___, wheelwright, blacksmith, &c., Pen-y-park
Jones Benjn., cottage farmer, Burnt house
Jones Miss H.,frmr. & landwnr., Green la.
Jones James, carpenter, &c., Westbrook
Jones John, farmer, Ton farm
Lewis Edward, farmer, Newton
Llewellin Richard, blacksmith
Medlicott Tho., farmer, Westbrook court
Meredith William, farmer, Llan-y-coed
Meredith __, farmer, The Rest
Michael Mrs., farmer, Lower Castleton
Ovens ___, police sergeant, Bridge cot.
Ovens John, farmer, Penland
Parry John, farmer, Firs
Phillips Hugh, farmer, Westbrook
Powell Thomas, mason, Priory wood
Price Eliz., frmr., The Croft, Middlewood
Price John, shopkeeper, Priory wood
Price Jph., farmer & landwnr., Llanfair
Price Thomas, farmer, Hawkswood
Price Thos., farmer, Broadmeadow (and in Cusop)
Pritchard Geo., shoemaker, Middlewood
Prosser John, farmer & landwnr., Llanfair
Rutter John, farmer, New house
Rutter John, jun., veterinary surgeon
Sandwick Wm., schoolmaster, Hardwick
Snead William, farmer, Middlewood
Watkins George, shoemaker and farmer, Castle Fields Inn
Watkins John, carpenter, Middlewood
Watkins Thomas, miller, Hardwick mill
Watkins Thomas, farmer, The Farm
Watkins Thomas, farmer, Maerdy
Williams George, sub-postmaster
Williams Mrs., farmer, Hardwick
Williams Wm., shoemaker, Priory wood
Wood Thomas, sexton, Hardwick

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in September 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Clifford.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library