Castle Froome, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Marion B. Wilkinson, © Copyright 2001

CASTLE FROOME is a parish and small village situated on the main road between Ledbury and Bromyard, about 6½ miles N.W. by N. of Ledbury, 7 S. of Bromyard, 13 E. by N.E. of Hereford, and 13 S.W. of Worcester; in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Bishop's Froome polling district. The population in 1861 was 160; in 1871, 177; inhabited houses, 38; families or separate occupiers, 44; area of parish, 1,488a. 0r. 13p.; annual rateable value, £2,011. John Hopton, Esq., of Canon ffroome court, Rev. William Poole, of Hentland, and Rev. Francis Elton Freeman, are the principal landowners. The soil is heavy land, strong clay and loam; hops are much cultivated, with wheat, beans, and fruit. Some good cider is made here. Castle Froome is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of South Froome; living, a rectory; value, £258, with residence and 58½ acres of glebe; patron, Rev. Francis Elton Freeman; rector, Rev. William Godden Lyall, M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1843. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a small stone edifice with bell-turret. The earliest register is dated 1624. There is a school for boys and girls of this parish and a part of Bishop's Froome. New school buildings, with accommodation for 50 children, have been recently erected at Froome's hill.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Worcester via Bromyard, and arrive by messenger from the latter place about 11 a.m.; despatched thereto at 2.50 p.m. Bromyard and Ledbury are the nearest money order and telegraph offices. Post town Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Michael's).- Rev. William Godden Lyall, M.A., Rector; Mr. Francis Pitt, Churchwarden; Thomas Haylings, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls), Froome's hill.- Mrs. Prosser, Mistress.
Carrier to Worcester.- William Bullock, every Saturday; stops at the Swan-with-two-necks Inn, New street, returning therefrom about 2 p.m.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Homes Miss & Jay Mrs., Birchend lodge
Lyall Rev. Wm. Godden, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Pitt Mr. Thomas, Old Birchend
Pudge Mrs. Elizabeth, New house
COMMERCIAL.
Barrett James, beer retailer and carpenter
Brookes Mrs., miller and farmer
Cole Mrs., blacksmith, Froome's hill
Davies Edward, blacksmith, Stanley hill
Dutson William, carpenter, wheelwright, &c., Stanley hill
Harrington Wm., farmer and hop grower, Mill end
Haylings Thomas, parish clerk
Knowles Thomas, farmer, Church house
Leake William, farmer and hop grower, The Hill farm
Ockey Mrs. Charles, farmer and hop grower, Moorend
Pitt Francis, farmer and hop grower, New Birchend
Powell Thos., frmr. & hop grwr., Frogend

Transcription by Marion Wilkinson in August 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/CastleFrome.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library