Canon Pyon, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Marion B. Wilkinson, © Copyright 2001

CANON PYON is an extensive parish and village situated on the main road between Hereford and Pembridge, distant 7 miles N.W. of Hereford, 9 S.S.W. of Leominster, and 5 S.E. of Weobley, in Grimsworth hundred, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Bodenham polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 768; in 1871, 770; inhabited houses, 176; families or separate occupiers, 176; area of parish, 3,706a. 3r. 7p.; annual rateable value, £4,897. The Dean and Chapter of Hereford are lords of the manor, and the principal landowners are the executors of the late D.F.B. Thomas, Esq., William Wilson, Esq., John Benjamin Plevy, Esq., William Plevy, Esq., George Gardiner, Esq., Henry Griffiths, Esq., and Mrs. Elizabeth Yeomans. The soil is clay and loam; subsoil, clay; chief products, wheat, beans, peas, oats, fruit, and hops. Canon Pyon is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weston; living, a vicarage; value, £311, with residence and 10 acres of glebe; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Thomas Dawes, M.A., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1853.

The church of St. Lawrence is an ancient stone edifice, in the Norman and Gothic styles of architecture, with square tower containing five bells. It has nave, chancel, two side aisles, font, and at the entrance to the churchyard is a lych gate. The chancel was rebuilt in 1865 at the expense of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, and the church underwent general restoration in 1870 at a cost of £820, chiefly defrayed by the vicar and parishioners. Henry Ward, Esq., of Stafford, was the architect, and Messrs. John Williams and Charles Jones, both of Canon Pyon, were the builders. The parish registers begin with the year 1754. A new school has been recently erected to meet the requirements of the "Elementary Education Act". It is centrally situated, and affords accommodation for 122 children; the cost of building was defrayed by subscription. The school is under the management of a parochial committee, of which Mr. Herbert Yeomans is the secretary. Great House, the residence of Gordon Graham, Esq., is pleasantly situated near the church. About half a mile west of the house, on the top of the renowned Pyon Hill, is built a castellated brick summer-house, commanding delightful views of several counties.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Mrs. Elizabeth Steele, Sub-Postmistress, New end. Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford at 9.15 a.m.; despatched thereto at 3.30 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Weobley is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Lawrence's).- Rev. Thomas Dawes, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. George Thomas and John Clayton, Churchwardens; William Steele, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. Frank George, Master; Miss Annie George, Mistress.
Carriers to Hereford.- Stephen Rowberry, on Wednesdays and Saturdays; stops at the Maidenhead Inn, Eign street, Hereford, and returns about 5 p.m.; Edward Edwards (from Dilwyn) also passes through on the same days and stops at the same inn.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Clarke Thomas Esq., Derndale
Clayton Mr. John, The Parks
Dawes Rev. Thomas M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Dent Miss Margaret, Crown house
Graham Gordon, Esq., Great house
Griffiths Henry, Esq., Brick house
Jay Miss Ann, The Cottage
Plevy John Benjamin, Esq., Westhope
Plevy William, Esq., Westhope
Sunderland Jos. Hy., Esq., Lawton's hope
Wilson Mrs. Eliza, Canon Pyon house
Yeomans Mrs. Elizabeth, Kinford
COMMERCIAL.
Beddoes Mrs., farmer, Oldfield
Bethell Edmund, farmer, Vetches land
Blackwell George, farmer & hop grower, Nupton farm
Bonnor Geo. Fred., farmer, Court farm
Davies Robert, miller, Kinford mill
Davies Shadrach, cooper, The Parks
Davies William, farm bailiff, Nupton
Galliers George T., farmer and hop gr., Butt ho. (and in King's Pyon parish)
George Frank, master of National school
Griffiths Charles, farmer and carpenter, Meeting house
Griffiths Henry, landowner, farmer, and hop grower, Brick house
Griffiths James, assistant overseer and rate collector, Bush bank
Griffiths John, shoemaker Bush bank
Grosvenor Thomas, plumber, painter, and glazier, Bush bank
Hughes Mrs. Sarah, shopkpr., Westhope
Jay James, farmer and hop gr., Red castle
Jones Charles, mason, The Parks
Lerry John, police constable, Bush bank
Patrick Henry Francis, Nag's Head Inn, and shopkeeper, New end
Plevy John Benjamin, farmer and landowner, Westhope
Plevy William farmer, landowner, and hop grower, Westhope
Porter Edwin, farmer, New end
Price James, wheelwright, &c., New end
Price Thomas, wheelwright & machinist, Parks
Pullen Thomas, farmer, Westhope
Rowberry Stephen, carrier and shopkpr.
Rudge Richard, farmer, Bush bank
Saunders Thomas, tailor, New end
Savory Elijah, frmr., Holly lo., Westhope
Skyrme George, farmer, Bush bank
Skyrme Richard, farmer, Oakfield
Skryme William, farmer, Park lane
Southall James, farmer, The Parks
Steele Charles, blacksmith, Westhope
Steele John, agricultural implement manufacturer and machinist, The Plough
Inn
, New end; stores for implements at Cattle market, Hereford
Steele William, blacksmith, New end
Sunderland Joseph Henry, auctioneer, farmer, landowner, and hop grower, Lawton's hope
Thomas Mrs. Ann, farmer and hop grower, Lower Derndale
Thomas George, farmer and hop grower, Upper Derndale
Thomas Mrs. George, farmer, Shire Glatt
Watkins James, stonecutter and shopkeeper, Bush bank
Weaver John, tailor, Westhope
Wiles Thomas, farmer, New end
Williams John, carpenter and builder
Yeomans Herbert, landowner, farmer & hop gr., Great Nupton & Nupton farm

Transcription by Marion Wilkinson in August 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/CanonPyon.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library